Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 running like a pig

MrNathanSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hello there , I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. The motor either cold or warm seems like it is miss firing at random times. Sometimes it happens first thing in the morning or sometime during driving then goes away after 15 mins sometimes it doesnt. I thought it might be the plugs but it isnt mis firing all the time. I changed the oil about a week before the problem first arose I dont know if that has anything to do with it.

poweredbycng

Reaction score
Replace spark plugs and oxygen sensors, check coils and replace/reseat as necessary.

Regards,
Dave

mattsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SENATOR
How many Kays has the car done. Coils have been a common problem on the VZ's which have done over 100,000ks....

Try this - floor it from a standing start, 100% throttle, and see if the car missfires or takes a while to build up revs... If so, it could be your coil(s).

My coil problems would only show if the car was under heavy acceleration, but would be otherwise fine under regular driving.

Hope this helps.

MrNathanSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Thanks guys. Replaced plugs today but made no difference. The car has done 90k. How hard are the oxygen sensors to replace and how much are they? Also now a "check powertrain" message comes up on start up. Are checking the coils easy?

STRIKE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turismo SV6
Go to Holden and get them to scan and find what the powertrain error is referring to, you don't want to have to replace O2 sensors unless you have to, they are quite pricey.

Ruzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Sv6 & E36 318i
About 2 months ago I had the same problem. Put it in drive, handbrake on and foot 100% and should missfire like the other guys said. I changed coil no. 4 and scanned to get rid of powertrain fault and fixed!

Chrimesy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ Wagon
Hey
I had the same problem It also used to smoke a little. I only run it on Premium and the missus was putting normal unleaded in it so when we started to run it on premium again problem solved.

VZTHUNDER

Enhanced Custom Tuned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder MY06
theres a recall on those motors (altho i think its only for ve), the reluctor wheel on the end of the crank shaft slips out of phaze with the cam sensor. this causes an engine code. ive only ever heard of thise causing 1 case of misfire tho, and in that case the car also wasnt serviced in 30,000km. just check with your holden dealer whether or not your vehicle is affected or not. also while your there get them to check the tech2 on it. see if its logged any codes

mattsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SENATOR
hey guys guess what! i have the exact same problem.
miss firing and check power train warning, has anyone solved this problem yet?

if you've replaced the plugs, its the coils.