Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Thermostat replacement

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
I am probably a bit late asking this question but it is about questionable mechanics.
My daughter recently found a thermostat coolant leak in her 2006 VZ Commodore. Her mechanic quoted $1200 to do do the job. As she needed the car on a daily basis, she got him to do the job. From what I can see, the job should take no more than 5 hours for any competent mechanic. $1200??
Question:- am I wrong or has my girl been robbed?

text size is so I can read it. 73 year old eyeballs
gasket + seals no more than $50? Around $1000+ for labour? $200 per hour?Hmmm.

commodore665, job is done so further quotes only aggravate me and my girl.

Last edited:

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
The thermostat on the alloytec engine is right at he back of engine , so it's a pain the butt to get to , explains the 5 labour . Might pay to get a second quote

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Last edited:

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
couple of years ago cost us 1100 to replace the thermostat and spark plugs , in comparison k mart auto said between 2 -3k to do it ( pull the donk out)

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
couple of years ago cost us 1100 to replace the thermostat and spark plugs , in comparison k mart auto said between 2 -3k to do it ( pull the donk out)
pull the donk out? hah! But the mech the daughter had said the gearbox had to come out. I cannot believe the tripe some service shops try to get away with. I have to say, after the job was done, I found quotes under $500 for the same job. I dunno. Maybe they readin my mail. The thermostat diy's on here don't mention removing the motor or gearbox!!!
thanks to all responders.

loopie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
pull the donk out? hah! But the mech the daughter had said the gearbox had to come out. I cannot believe the tripe some service shops try to get away with. I have to say, after the job was done, I found quotes under $500 for the same job. I dunno. Maybe they readin my mail. The thermostat diy's on here don't mention removing the motor or gearbox!!!

pull inlet manifold off and **** , while there do the plugs, about 3 hours work

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon

It is not only vehicle repairs and servicing but right across the country.
Seems some people in business, and I stress, not all business people, can no longer do a decent job for a decent price, they have to talk all forms of bullkrap in order to jack the price up, and the sad thing is, these thieves actually think they have done nothing wrong, and that people actually believe their bullkrap.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I did exactly that, remove the intake hardware, and it is a PIA job,
But very doable.
4 > 5 hours.

I had a leak on the o’ring on the aluminium coolant pipe, I fixed that from removing that from underneath,
But,
Then it leaked on the o-rings on the heater pipes that connect to the thermostat housing,
That’s when I decided to attack this from the top.
I also ditched the metal gasket that Holden used between the block and thermostat housing, and used gasket material and made my own gasket,
Applied gasket cement on both sides to the gasket, and installed the Thermostat Housing,
and then fitted the 2 new O-rings,
fitted it all back together, and that has now fixed all of the coolant leaks.
The o-ring kit inc postage was $15,
Gasket material I already had,
Gasket cement I already had.

FYI: the bolts and the nuts are all 10mm, and can be lost/dropped very easily. Don’t rush it, so taking you time is vital,
And most of it done by feel, and the use of a small mirror to make sure the mating surface is clean before assemble.

Side note: The secret was to remove the battery and air box, so you have some room to place you feet, otherwise you may get a cramp leaning over the top of the engine,
where it’s head down, bum up, literally!.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
It's a big job, pay the man