Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ timing chain, when to replace.

Marco59

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs sv6
Hey there.

I have a VZ V6 with about 210,000km on it. I only drive it once a week, and recently noticed when I start it from cold I get a god awful rattle for about 2 seconds. Every start after that first start is quiet, no rattle. No engine warning messages. I know its the chain, but how much life does it have yet.
See the car is very worn, the suspension is stuffed and just about every rubber is due for replacement, the result of living on a unsealed rural road on the Darling Downs. I intend to replace the front struts and the radius rod bushes ( for the 3rd time ) to make the car safe, but I'm hoping to get a little more life out of the engine before I let the car go to the big scrap heap in the sky.
So the rattle when cold, ok for a few thousand km, or should I order a chain kit now before something lets go. If I do replace the chain, I'll probably want to get an extra 100,000km out of the old girl.

Thanks
Glenn

Marco59

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs sv6
I had exactly the same issue in my vz sv6 and am currently doing the chains. I highly recommend getting the chains now as the crank chain got so loose it broke the bottom guide on the oil pump and wouldn't start. I have had to pur hase a new oil pump as well and a set of cams as the lobes were badly pitted and scored. New cams will set you back $1,150, oil pump prices e is around $90. I have sourced a set of arms from a ve sv6 and having the longer cam cut to size as it's an sidi which has a longer duration so a bit more top end but not as much punch down low. Hope this helps

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
IMG_20200229_133656.jpg

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
lucky my engine is not to bad