Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ timing chain, when to replace.

Glenn Littleford

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Ute V6 Man, 06 VZ Sedan V6 Auto
Hey there.

I have a VZ V6 with about 210,000km on it. I only drive it once a week, and recently noticed when I start it from cold I get a god awful rattle for about 2 seconds. Every start after that first start is quiet, no rattle. No engine warning messages. I know its the chain, but how much life does it have yet.
See the car is very worn, the suspension is stuffed and just about every rubber is due for replacement, the result of living on a unsealed rural road on the Darling Downs. I intend to replace the front struts and the radius rod bushes ( for the 3rd time ) to make the car safe, but I'm hoping to get a little more life out of the engine before I let the car go to the big scrap heap in the sky.
So the rattle when cold, ok for a few thousand km, or should I order a chain kit now before something lets go. If I do replace the chain, I'll probably want to get an extra 100,000km out of the old girl.

Thanks
Glenn

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
There's no guarantee it will stretch as it's not as common of a problem for VZs, I wouldn't bother changing it unless there's actually a problem as it's not a cheap job (most places seem to ask for 2-3k if you wanna pay someone) and it's pretty involved if you wanna DIY. When the timing chain does stretch, it won't break and leave you stranded, it will just give you a check engine light, maybe get a bit slower, obviously get worse over time but you'll still be able to drive it for a while.

Slick_Vp_23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SSV M6
Hey there.

I have a VZ V6 with about 210,000km on it. I only drive it once a week, and recently noticed when I start it from cold I get a god awful rattle for about 2 seconds. Every start after that first start is quiet, no rattle. No engine warning messages. I know its the chain, but how much life does it have yet.
See the car is very worn, the suspension is stuffed and just about every rubber is due for replacement, the result of living on a unsealed rural road on the Darling Downs. I intend to replace the front struts and the radius rod bushes ( for the 3rd time ) to make the car safe, but I'm hoping to get a little more life out of the engine before I let the car go to the big scrap heap in the sky.
So the rattle when cold, ok for a few thousand km, or should I order a chain kit now before something lets go. If I do replace the chain, I'll probably want to get an extra 100,000km out of the old girl.

Thanks
Glenn
Could be oil pump too mate, they seem to get lazy around those K’s. I’d definitely consider getting it replaced with the chain, try a thicker oil for now. Have heard guys run 40-70w when really bad.
cheers

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
Last edited:

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
My first VZ I had rattled like the noise you describe on cold startup from about 50,000kms until I sold it at 280,000. My current VZ has always done it too. They are/were both the original timing chains that were thicker before Holden changed them in I think 2006? Which I beleive is when the chain stretching became common with the thinner chains. Even my VE S2 SIDI used to sometimes have the same VZ rattle on start up and I sold that at 65,000kms. So I wouldnt stress about it

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
it also could be a fail o ring on the pickup in the sump have a look at this thread a member replaced the chains same engine as in the vz but the noise is still there

a couple of youtube vids in the thread also so you can hear the noise
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/ve-alloytec-start-up-noise-woes.262819/
Also my above post, I didnt have that sort of noise that is in this youtube video in this link. Its a completely different for anyone reading these posts.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
I worked on a xh ute that had a stretched timing chAin someone went and advanced the timing to compensate

Glenn Littleford

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Ute V6 Man, 06 VZ Sedan V6 Auto
Thanks guys. I might record a video of the startup in a few days and post it here. The thicker oil sounds like a good idea to, the car is mostly used for highway driving and rarely goes over 3,000rpm. I need to take it on a long trip this winter, 2500km, so want to get a few issues sorted before hand.

Glenn

BEEVEE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ADVENTRA 5.7, FE 1957 SEDAN, EH 202 SEDAN, OLDS
Hey there.

Thanks
Glenn
Yes, do the chain and ALL related parts in that area, assuming you are doing your own labour, as it's too expensive to get it done professionally. Water pump too if it hasnt been done.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
my check engine light came on today, code says chains, 240k I will be changing them myself I hope