Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ V6 Executive Alloy Dies when turning or getting to OT and Fans Kick on

Cali Speed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive 3.6L Alloy 06
I'm also picking up brand new and genuine pcv/pcv hoses (backside of intake and left bank to front of intake housing.) Will try and change them out sometime this week or over the weekend. Will keep updated :)

Cali Speed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive 3.6L Alloy 06
Hey all,

Just wanted to give an update on the situation. The car is up and running with no issues :)

Little run down of what I did when I finally got around to doing it. The weather has been absolutely terrible so I haven't been able to work on the car as quickly as I would of liked.

Anyhow, over the weekend I managed to replace and change a couple of things.
The car had an issue originally with it dieing when put underload e.g. turning left or right/putting foot on the brake and A/C being turned on and not to mention a surging/rough idle. Even more so when the vehicle heated up.

I did some research, asked around and decided to check over some things.

First thing I checked was the Battery and Alternator.
- both passed, Inc Alt under load test.

Afterwards I pulled off the intake housing and air filter and cleaned it all out. (Intake housing had a bit of oil inside, so I decided to investigate this further)

- I pulled the pcv hose connecting to the intake and noticed it was full of gunk and yellow murky oil. Followed the hose to the back of the left bank which led to the pcv valve.

Pulled the hose off completely + the pcv valve. PCV Valve was completely blocked up and full of gunk/yellow murky oil (signs of moisture). Once removed I decided to give them a clean however I noticed cracks in the hose.
- After this discovery I knew that the pcv system (all hoses connected) needed to be checked. I checked the pcv hoses on the back connecting from the Right back bank (PCV Orifice) to the top of the intake plenum. Same issue. PCV Orifice was blocked up full of gunk.
- At this point I decided to pull the top of the intake plenum, coils and rocker covers.
- Decided to go ahead and replace all PCV HOSES, PCV VALVE and remove PCV Orifice. Including Rocker cover gasket and upper intake plenum gasket
- Installed brand new genuine Parts

- I made small adjustment to PCV Orifice after some research. I found out that
1. It comes part of the rocker cover. Holden don't have a part number for it.
2. It can be removed. Just need to gently pull/pry out.
3. After removing it from the rocker cover I gave it a thorough clean and drilled out both holes (topside and bottom side) by extra 0.5mm +. Supposedly helps with air flow and efficiency. (Very minor increased hole size) Afterwards left the Orifice sitting in kerosene for few hours to clean all the gunk.

Rockers was full of gunk. Vehicle clearly hasn't been looked after. (Did purchase for real cheap with this issue so to be expected)
- rockers degreased and pressure washed then air blown to dry.

Whilst everything was removed top side.
I cleaned a few ground connections with Emre tap around the engine.

Once everything dried up and I had all the parts (couple of parts had to come from ex east which I ordered earlier) started putting everything back together. PCV Orifice, PCV Valve, PCV Hoses, Upper intake plenum gasket, Rocker + gasket.
Started after everything back on and ran mint idles great, no surging or rough idles, doesn't die when turning or putting on A/C.

(Did also leave battery disconnected for 45-60mins just to hard reset everything.)

Oh and almost forgot, last but not least I'm planning on putting in some engine cleaner and running it for few hundred kms then dropping oil+filter. Might do it twice just to be sure.

Did take some time, but after some process of eliminations, some research and asking around I managed to Identify the issue and fix it. :)

Onto the next project I guess! Aha

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Good result.

Don’t use engine cleaner and run the car with it. You’ll be getting a new engine. Follow the directions on the product.

If you want to take that approach, start using 5W-40 diesel oil. Do filter changes every 500kms to be safe. Oil every 2500 for maybe 5 change cycles.

Then resume regular petrol engine oil and change every 5000-7500.

You can buy AC Delco filters in bulk on eBay.

For those following along, the PCV mod thread:
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vz-and-ve-alloytec-pcv-problem-fix.279039/

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Ahhh, the old Caramel Milkshake under the Oil Cap Trick !
Yep, know about that one also.

I am running Deisel Oil in my LY7 [Adventra], as its was a bit unloved when I purchased it,
Apart from doing a fair few things to it over the last [almost] 2 years
I have been running Deisel oil to try and clean the LY7 internals up, change it every 6000 k's, and changing the filter every 2000 k's,
I use the car everyday, so it gets up to temp, pretty quick,
I do a 120k/m round trip from Wed > Fri, suburbs and Freeway [Frankston Freeway & Peninsula Link], so its getting a good run.
And its surprising the amount of crap/gunk the filter catches, and the oil is so black, so I would say its slowly breaking down the gunk build up.

Being I only changed the Oil and Filter yesterday, as it was due,

Last edited: