Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ v6 Loosing fluid and over heating! help??

Lewie_94

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz 3.6l ute
Hey guys

I was driving home from work the safternoon and the dash started flashing saying engine over heating and the gage was in the red, had only been driving ten minutes =S So i pulled over let it cool down, checked the fluid level and there was literally almost nothing in there (i only just dropped and refilled the fluid 3 days ago) i filled it back up and it took just over 3 litres.. the temp stayed low the rest of the trip home but it's now saying 'check powertrain' I'm suspecting its the water pump leaking/shot? i'm pretty cluey with cars but im not 100% sure as im only a panel beater.
so i'm just wondering has anyone else had this problem and what was wrong?!?

Cheers lewis.

RKSears

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series II S Pack
My partner had this problem in his VX I think... ended up it did a head... time for a compression test!

EDIT: Sorry... just saw its a VZ :S every VZ my mates have owned had blown the water pump and then needed a new head...

Good ol' Alloytec...

DylanWillo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 2005
Had the same problem, mine was the radiator cap spring/pressure thingo had snapped off. Where the coolant goes in near the engine on the right from memory. Basically all the pressure pisses off and the water/coolant boils and evaporates

DylanWillo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 2005
Oh and the power train issue for me was check engine but its still fine 10000km later so yeah, maybe run a scanner over it or something man

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Is the overflow bottle filling up? If so replace the black coolant cap. Probably replace it anyway as they do fail and are the cheapest component.

Lewie_94

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz 3.6l ute
Thanks for the help guys

On closer inspection it looks like the waterpump is only new and their is no evidence of leakage. It looks like the radiator cap is the issue as its all perished inside and the spring is sh!t and yes when the level goes down the over flow comes up. Cant believe i didn't think of it earlier as i had the exact same problem with my old vs ute haha.

Thanks again.