Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WA Police Minister to ban Radar/Laser detector ownership

Keepleft

Mot Adv-NSW
Reaction score
It is reported Western Australia's Police Minister, Michelle Roberts is to introduce legislation in March banning the item, in effect, to allow Australian Road Rule 225.

At this point she has opposition support with LIB leader Mathew Birney offering that support.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/060109/21/xie5.html

IF you don't want the prohibition you should let both sides know, particularly the opposition.

Her contact detail:
http://www.ministers.wa.gov.au/roberts/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.contact

Matthew J. Birney, Leader of the Opposition:
305 Hannan Street
Kalgoorlie WA 6430
Postal Address: PO Box 10406,
Ph: 9021 3927
Fax: 9021 6724
Email: [email protected]

VYSHSV8

**** happens
Reaction score
Website
www.ls1-australia.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 M6
Sent both of them an email

this is basically what I said

Michelle,

If you bann these it just says it all

YOU DONT GIVE A **** ABOUT PEOPLE AND THERE LIVES AND IT IS ALL ABOUT REVENUE RAISING AND SPENDING THE MONEY ON PAY RISES NOT ROAD SOLVING PROBLEMS, trust me I used to work on the roads and they are **** and the Govt should be disgraced at what they call SAVING LIVES, look at the N/T how many deaths did they have and they have no limit.

Put money towards fixing the long distance roads and open the speed limit up and you will save lives Time = saving lives not speeding fines..

Put some money towards driver education etc etc..
If I see some more major roadworks down south of Perth I will be really pissed as this is known as the RICHIES playground Polies as well..

Radar detectors dont cause deaths People Do.

So get of your HIGH horse and wake up.

Thanks for Nothing

Drew

The down south bit is not directed at all as my family have a house down there as well but at the amount of roadworks going on down that way compared to the long Haul roads North and East

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
I agree with driver training. I mean i scratched against a fence during my driving test and I still passed. Like many I was somewhat nervous during my test but after the scratch incident I relaxed with the mindset of "Well surely I've failed." only to have a mixture of shock and surpise when I was told I passed. I sure as heck would not of passed myself that day.

But back to the topic, I don't think that making radar detectors will make a difference. I can understand the idea is "if they cannot see it coming they (us drivers) will drive more carefully and slowly to avoid a fine" but are there not still many speeding fines and road toll victims over east where the detectors are banned?

I don't think that increasing the speed limits on open roads will help let alone solve the issue, though I do beleive that improvement of the roads will make a difference. Driving though the country the only thing that has me concerned is that the roads aren't wide enough to allow any kind of manouvre should something such as a kangaroo obstruct your path. you are faced with three choices:
1) swerve left, possibly over an embankment or into a tree
2) hit the object.
3) swerve into the oncoming lane, which given a quiet road you may be able to get away with but what about those thin country roads that are frequently used.

I don't know about anyone else but I don't like any of those options. and given a second tops to decide makes it even harder. however with slightly wider and more consitant roads (none of this "patched" road business) I feel a fourth, and desirable option is opened.

4) "dodge around" said object.

At least in this manner you could simply move around the obstuction and prevent having a collision. Therefore, given correct car control ( driver training? ) you could make your way around the obstruction in the safest manner possiable given the ability to do so.

In short;

Who cares about radar detectors. Widen the roads, even if only a little more. Bring in mandatory driving instruction.

- Patrio7
(Post checked once for errors.)

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
They are illegal in vic and the penalties are rather harsh, If they catch you with one its a $1200 fine and if you fail to surrender the device its another $1200 on top. and If they suspect you of having one they can impound your car and tear it apart until they find it with no obligation on them to put it back together.

P

portercg

Losing battle, Govt's all over the world are cracking down on ownership of radar/laser detetection devices. Obvious reason is that people who own them only have them because they SPEED! which is against the Law. get a road angel instead

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
hmmmm, what is this raod angel you speak of?

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
A Road Angel is a GPS device that will give you warnings of what the current speed limit is and notifactions of when you are approaching black spots, red light cameras and school zones.

Basicly it will let you know where traffic hazards exist but ofcourse prevention is the best cure so realisticly if this was a perfect world everyone would obey the speed limits and have no need to worry about getting caught.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I say ban the ****ers! If Australians can't have them why should the WAites?

(note the deliberate discernation between the two? LOL)

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
Thats ok 12v, some of us don't like eastlanders but if you look at this same thread in the WA cruise forum I've mentioned banned or not it won't change much.