Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wagon tailgate lock problem

Biggi3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx wagon executive S2
I had this problem, pulled the mechanism out soaked in old oil for 24 hours, thoroughly degreased then sprayed on cooking spray before replacing in car.
Problem solved

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
If you've run out of bumper stop thread, check the post that the latch engages with and see if it is worn, probably find the black plastic sleeve is no longer and possibly the metal is worn as well. If so, remove any remains of the old black plastic and cut a piece of insulation from 35mm2 cable to length, split it length ways and place around the post and wrap some insulation tape around it to hold it in place. Get the insulation from cable with a hard plastic sheath rather than the soft rubber type. You will probably need to wind your stops back in and adjust them as necessary. Worked for me and stopped the tailgate rattle as well.

admk69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2 2002 Wagon
Hi

I have a wagon boot-lid, tailgate problem too.. The "LOCK" on the VX boot has stopped "locking".. I used to hear a noise when the lock would activate/deactivate and that's gone. I open up the back and can see in there however nothing is obvious as to what's failing. Google searching only brought up this thread with any relevance? I don't want to replace the latch if the matter is the lock actuator/trigger.

please help. Currently I can lock my car but the boot unlocked and still operable, triggering the horn alarm. Not the peace of mind I'm used too, especially with a heroin addict uncle lurking about.

thanks in advance for your time & just commodores for such a great service.

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
If you have access to a multimeter you can check that there is voltage getting to the locking solenoid when you press the lock button. Also check that the solenoid is not open circuit. If you don't have a meter you could try unplugging the solenoid and putting 12 volts on to the solenoid terminals to see if it activates or not. If the solenoid is shot it should be a pretty cheap replacement from a wrecker.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
My 2004 model wagon I picked up never locked the tailgate. Different design to VX but same idea. I ended up buying a good used latch and lock motor thinking that was the issue. What I found was that it still worked but the rod between the latch and motor had gone missing. And that part wasn't easy to find being a VZ only part. But when I swapped the whole lot over with used rod. The plastic retainer on previous had broken and rod come loose. Even though working it wasn't very loud until latch working with it. About a year later I had a rattle begin in tailgate when putting up. Expecting a broken stud and nut on top wing, what fell out was the old rod with broken clip attached. Just ideas to check!

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
2004 VY2 - Commodore Wagon,VC Commodore (Starfire)
Anyone got picture?
I assume VY2 & VZ Tailgate lock mechs are the same?
I haven't looked at mine yet but I don't suspect the solenoid.
If I push the button in and let it spring out harshly a few times then hit the key unlock button again you hear the lock clunk and the button jumps a bit and it then works.
I'm betting there is something mechanical going astray to do with allowing the button to be depressed fully when locked?

Guck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Wagon
I pulled apart the wagon door on a VX Wagon trying to sort out the unlock issue with the remote.
Then I read this thread.
Unwound the rubber bump stops a few turns and problem solved.
Cheers guys. I was already searching actuators online. Definitely saved me some cash.