Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Walkinshaw & Di Filippo

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
Sorry up front about the massively long post, but it covers my experience and something similar to this would have been helpful for me about 12 months ago. Should stress, not trying to convince anyone of anything, but I wrestled with this same issue for months when deciding to go catback or engine-back. Mods obviously feel free to delete this post.

Firstly I bought my SS (June 2017 build) as a daily as I've already got another project car that I enjoy on weekends etc.

However, and this is obviously a personal thing, I quickly felt regularly disappointed that I wasn't getting the full bang-for-buck experience that I wanted from 6.2l V8 in terms of the exhaust note.

Was initially thinking catback to preserve warranty, but then read the difference headers and cats can make to the note - deeper being one of the big drivers for me. Listened to a few cars that had either option and it pretty much convinced me that if I'm going to do it I'll do it properly and get exactly what I want. So I was at the point of either doing it full-on, or not doing it at all. Also niggling at me was the fact I would have to wait for several years due to the warranty to get essentially what I wanted when I bought it in terms of exhaust note.

I then went to my local Holden dealer and was upfront with my dilemma, what I had planned and what it would mean in terms of warranty. They categorically said as soon as the tune's been touched pretty much anything warranty-wise in terms of engine/clutch/gearbox/diff will be an issue/void in terms of warranty.

Then went to my preferred tuner/workshop where I was going to get the work done and had a chat with them about the same dilemma. And yes, I know their aim is to sell their product/service, not turn people away with fears over warranty.

Interestingly, both said the same thing - if you've got more than about 20,000ks on the motor/driveline without issue or warning signs so far, and you don't abuse it mercilessly or drive it too hard too often (and have some mechanical sympathy), if something was going to break/fail, it would have happened by now. *obviously there's always the random fault/failure that can still happen with anything mechanical , so it's a risk.

So I bit the bullet and decided to go ahead with an engine back exhaust package, otr and tune.

Before I did it, I went back to my local dealer, told them I'd made my decision and as a result wanted a final service (earlier than scheduled service/checkover) before going ahead. Again, I know it's not in their best interests to find fault when its under warranty when they know the driveline warranty will essentially be void in a few weeks. But I felt better being upfront.

I've since had the work done and for me personally it was worth every cent, and the risk of no warranty.

I still chuckle to myself when I give it the beans in terms of how good it sounds and how much better it goes. In fact I leave for work early every day just so I can drive it that bit more - almost look forward to going to work.

For me personally, I have absolutely nil regrets.
Since i currently have a custom tune & otr, how much of a difference do you think a full exhaust will make in terms of bottom end & midrange torque?
I know that it will sound great but am i paying $4,000 just for the sound or will it give me a very noticeable performance increase also to the bottom end and midrange cause thats where i use it as a daily on the street.
Not really concerned about top end power.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
Since i currently have a custom tune & otr, how much of a difference do you think a full exhaust will make in terms of bottom end & midrange torque?
thats never an easy answer, so many variables at play. my thoughts would be not much.
stock cast log manifolds are designed for torque, and you are already tuned.
most power gains are made from headers and cats, cat back is mostly about noise
maybe a set of hsv style tri-y headers with higher flowing cats ($1300?) could get you a bit more, but you will need another tune ($1000)
moving into 4-1s headers and cats ($2000+?) you are looking at more top end gains.

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
thats never an easy answer, so many variables at play. my thoughts would be not much.
stock cast log manifolds are designed for torque, and you are already tuned.
most power gains are made from headers and cats, cat back is mostly about noise
maybe a set of hsv style tri-y headers with higher flowing cats ($1300?) could get you a bit more, but you will need another tune ($1000)
moving into 4-1s headers and cats ($2000+?) you are looking at more top end gains.
When i say full exhaust i mean headers, cats + cat back. So ur saying its just top end power?

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
When i say full exhaust i mean headers, cats + cat back.
yep
So ur saying its just top end power?
no
every set of headers and cats you put on are designed differently, they will make power differently
but you will most likely see more gains top end than bottom end

NigelD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Series II 2017
youre in perth go to SQP and get the DPE header/SQP cat/manta catback combo they do, nice fit
Paradox - whilst it was a while ago now - thanks for the recommendation - John at SQP was great. Just had hi performance headers & hi-flow cats with a full Manta 3" SS exhaust. (bi-modal fitted also). Just over 400 rwhp. When I got the invoice it was cheaper than the quote ($70) - that doesn't happen very often anywhere.

rossimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s2 wagon
Is anyone having issues with availability of the difilippo/manta systems?

I bought a full system from a company in victoria mid december last year, was advised that it would be one of that last difilippo systems made when dpe returned to work mid jan.

Got a call from them mid feb telling me the system is 1-2 weeks away, 4 weeks pass and nothing, mid march I contacted them via email, a week or two past with no response. I messaged them via their website, another week or two past with no response.

Mid may I phoned them, no answer, called around the end of may/start of june, I get hold of someone there who says the delay is due to manta having issues with the exhaust jigs or something and production is delayed.

I call again around the end of july and am told the system is done and getting painted and will see postage details in about a week, 2 weeks pass and nothing .

Call them again mid august and advised the system is still being painted and should be a week or two.

It's now nearly 9 months since I paid for this dpe/manta/whatever exhaust system and haven't seen sh!t.

Anyone in the same boat or have any ideas? I think I've been patient so far, but it's wearing pretty thin.

DG355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute 355 + VF Clubby W375 + ZB RSV
I bought a system pre manta without a problem. Arrived in 1 week.
9 months is a bit of a joke. Maybe contract fair trading to chase them up.

NigelD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Series II 2017
Is anyone having issues with availability of the difilippo/manta systems?

I bought a full system from a company in victoria mid december last year, was advised that it would be one of that last difilippo systems made when dpe returned to work mid jan.

Got a call from them mid feb telling me the system is 1-2 weeks away, 4 weeks pass and nothing, mid march I contacted them via email, a week or two past with no response. I messaged them via their website, another week or two past with no response.

Mid may I phoned them, no answer, called around the end of may/start of june, I get hold of someone there who says the delay is due to manta having issues with the exhaust jigs or something and production is delayed.

I call again around the end of july and am told the system is done and getting painted and will see postage details in about a week, 2 weeks pass and nothing .

Call them again mid august and advised the system is still being painted and should be a week or two.

It's now nearly 9 months since I paid for this dpe/manta/whatever exhaust system and haven't seen sh!t.

Anyone in the same boat or have any ideas? I think I've been patient so far, but it's wearing pretty thin.

Rossimo - I think it's well passed the time that you should have called consumer affairs.
About a month ago I spoke ot John at SQP in Perth on a Thursday about a DF / MANTA full system - his exact words were - "No problem the parts are available I can do it next week."
As far as I am aware MANTA is working full steam ahead and even Aus Post doesn't take that long from WA to the east.
The headers are still made in Vic. at the same factory as they always were - it's just MANTA now owns the business.
I think you are being bullshitted - call consumer affairs,

Nigel
Perth

coolshades

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 Redline
We booked in with a tuner in Melbourne ordered a DFE system and it was fitted 2 weeks ago no delays no issues sounds fantastic. 9 months isn’t right, is was for a VF Redline S1.