Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wall Mounted TV - Where To Run Cables

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
I'm lazy, my cables are hanging but I plan on pulling my lounge room ceiling out and building some bulkheads anyway which means I'll have to repaint so I'll just knock a hole in the wall and patch it.

090931B4-A306-4BB5-A194-D3EF7EE31BBE_zps0mg5br0b.jpg

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I'm lazy as well, couldn't be bothered cutting holes in plaster or getting an electrician to put a power point behind the TV.

Went to Bunnings, had a look through the AV section, found these covers in the 'cable management' section.

They do the job....

2015-08-10 13.04.06 (Medium).jpg

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
It's really not that hard.

Main Lounge:
IMG_2267.jpg

Bedroom:
IMG_2809.jpg

But this is all about to change. 120 inch home theatre 4K projector setup going into the main lounge to make it a proper home theatre room.
Current lounge TV is going into the bedroom.
And current bedroom TV is going to the outdoor lounge & fire pit area, mounted to the outside of the house under the covered entertaining area.
No TV in the second lounge (there used to be), just the fire place..... Mmmmmm! :D And wired speakers throughout, incl. outside, for streaming Spotify.

IMG_2891.jpg

PS - it's a HUGE fire place. They're Great Dane puppies. Only weighing in at 55kg and 45kg at the moment.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
I am doing renos, so while there was no Jib on the wall, I made a box in the wall - behind the TV and put in a couple of power points, aerial plug, VDSL jackpoint.. im poor so I just mounted a NUC onto the tv bracket, have my router sitting in the gap.. no wires to be seen..

you could always run some form of cable management (plastic boxing) down the wall and hide the cables in that..

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
I am doing renos, so while there was no Jib on the wall, I made a box in the wall - behind the TV and put in a couple of power points, aerial plug, VDSL jackpoint.. im poor so I just mounted a NUC onto the tv bracket, have my router sitting in the gap.. no wires to be seen..

That's actually really cool! Mounting a NUC to the TV bracket. When you say a box in the wall do you mean you've recessed the mount so the TV is pretty much flush with the wall? I like the sound of your setup. :D

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
depending on how the TV Electrical Cord is you should easily be able to pull it through those wall plates.
might have to go from the bottom up (use some sort of a device like a yellow tongue) and just plug in both ends as required.
(as Raj said, because you aren't installing elec equip you don't need a sparky, just plugging it in)
or if it is to short, buy a longer cable if they are a standardised item of course.

just be careful when you do cut into the plaster incase of other hidden services behind.
have had my fair share of near misses or big hits (most were core drilling though which is fairly different but scary non the less)

and lastly make sure you can mount it appropriately. some walls may need strengthening to support the TV.
just one other thing to consider really, don't want your purchase falling off the wall afterwards.

Last edited:

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
That's actually really cool! Mounting a NUC to the TV bracket. When you say a box in the wall do you mean you've recessed the mount so the TV is pretty much flush with the wall? I like the sound of your setup. :D

Nope the box is to hold the router, TV Aerial plug and a couple of power points.. The TV Bracket is a thin line one, so the TV is only 15mm off the wall.. haven't jib stopped yet, might look at putting the mount in the hole, good idea... and yeah the nuc comes with a mounting plate so that was easy... i7 with a 250GB SSD, 8GB and Win 10..

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
I've got an open registration for data and so I installed a plate with the connectors already in it, HDMI, Lan, USB and coax and wired to the NAS in the study using CAT 6 cable.
It is a neater way of doing it, but will require a data license to be installed.
Had a mate who's a qualified sparky install a power point behind the tv too.
Also has a direct LAN connection to the router so there's no lag with watching Netflix and Youtube on it.

Mister_Q

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I've never understood why people wall mount TVs right above an entertainment cabinet. Why not just stand the set on top of the cabinet?

It's not as bad as people who wall mount their TV 2 metres above floor level though. Can only assume they enjoy neck problems. :D

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It's OK for those that have gyprock walls, ours is brick. Can't run the cables through a single brick internal wall so they just hang down through a spiral cable tidy thing.