Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wanting advice on V6 sidi exhaust

AntonioNicola

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE berlina
Hi guys, still relatively new to this site. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this kind of stuff but I couldn't find anything specific to my enquiry.

I have a 2010 berlina, 3.0L sidi. I've made it look nicer than the grandma spec it comes stock. Been lowered, tinted windows, Calais tail lights and front bumper And chrome twin tips on both mufflers. The only thing wrong with it is that it sounds just wrong. Has absolutely no sound to it. Need it to sound like it looks.
I'm not looking for performance enhancing or anything ridiculous (any performance is a bonus), simply after a bit of nice sound to the exhaust and not wanting to end up with the infamous droning sound. I know it's a V6 3.0L and some would question why I would want such thing. I'm not here for opinions, I'm here for advice.
What size exhaust comes stock on my car, and what size should I get? Will it require a different size fitting if I go bigger or can it just be bolted straight on. After a cat back replacement, nothing like headers/extractors whatever. Brands to lean towards/avoid?
Thanks so much in advance for taking the time, and sorry for such a long post.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
I have a VE SS Catback with SS Non AFM Mufflers on my sv6, no middle muffler with an x-pipe (Doesnt drone for me,.) I do wish it was a little bit louder sometimes, maybe delete the x pipe with a straight?

but i love it compaired to stock, Best way to describe it gives a natural sound to it, like how it should sound straight from factory (What i dont get about this though, is that its from an SS, yet every stock SS is quiet?

I hear you can go as high as 2.5 " without drone? I wouldnt mind giving it ago, but dont want to put in the money just to say i dont like it :)

Last edited:

AntonioNicola

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE berlina
Thanks for replying! Sorry for sounding like an idiot, but what is AFM/non AFM?
Also, how you said it was a nice natural sound is kind of what I'm after! I always thought a V8 exhaust would sound horrible on a V6. So a 2.5" cat back with deleted middle muffler with x pipe would sound nice, you say?

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Sorry just to clarify i have not tried a 2.5" exhaust :) I just heard that is as far as you would want to go with the ve V6, but i have not tried this, and wouldnt know..

Mine is a stock SS catback (2.25") with an x pipe (But i dont know if the x pipe is really necessary when it comes to tone, mine just came with it)
Aparently VE SS and SV6 have the same catback with different mufflers. Maybe the berlina is the same so you may get away with just putting on the SS mufflers :)

This is a NON AFM Muffler
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ni8dpx&s=8#.Vlz6dEZERnA

This is a AFM Muffler
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...factory-afm-mufflers-sedan-wagon-img_0324.jpg

One has 2 single pipes at the rear of muffler, the other has a single U connection

Last edited:

AntonioNicola

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE berlina
Ah ok I get it now. That would mean my stock is an AFM single outlet, I've added twin tips to it. I imagine there would be some differences between them sound/performance wise?

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
i was just showing the difference of AFM mufflers vs NON AFM mufflers by looking at the tips. As i heard the AFM mufflers drone?

Sound wise yes you should hear a difference :) and because they come with twin tips will also look good. Performance wise, wont be much different if at all

AntonioNicola

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE berlina
Would I be better off just buying 2.5" sport mufflers purely just for some noise and saving hundreds of dollars or is it worth the full cat back?
sorry for so many questions! i just want to be sure before spending money, as i don't want it to go to waste obviously

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Would I be better off just buying 2.5" sport mufflers purely just for some noise and saving hundreds of dollars or is it worth the full cat back?
sorry for so many questions! i just want to be sure before spending money, as i don't want it to go to waste obviously

I would only go full SS catback and mufflers if you can find them cheap, (I bought mine for $20) otherwise just try the SS / HSV mufflers and see if you like the tone? (i just dont know if the catbacks are the same in berlinas compaired to SV6 and SS so dont know how they will line up.

Then if its not loud enough then try an aftermarket sports muffler?. Not_abba_fan knows whats good with aftermarket systems.

Last edited:

Blurem

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 VE Series II Commodore
If anyone has a pair of SS mufflers that'll go onto me Ve II sv6 and wants to help me out, it would mean a lot, in Sydney.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I'd go with the SS system first, the non AFM one with the twin pipes out of the muffler, not the single pipe with twin tips. You can have the front muffler cut out and replaced with straight pipe as it already has a couple of small hotdogs there. It should sound pretty good. I throw these systems away so any exhaust shop should give them to you.