Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Warning if you dont read your a fool

WILD VR CLUBBY

lack of licence
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy s
hey every one the other day i was cleaning a block with petrol as i thought that would be the best thing to use
any way after 30 mins of my hands sookin petrol i realised i couldnt feel my hand yes the petrol has made it that i cant feel my hand its been 5days today of no feelin in my hand.
so my message is simple dont wash your hands in petrol, dont hold cloths that have petrol on them and also if u need to wear gloves

P.S please excuse my speelin

Last edited:

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
I've had no probs.... mabye you may be allergic to the petrol?

WILD VR CLUBBY

lack of licence
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy s
i aint alergic to petrol i have been usin the stuff for this type of work since i was 12 im now 18 so thats 6years of petrol use

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
Seriously mate, DO NOT USE UNLEADED FUEL TO WASH PARTS WITH YOUR BARE HANDS!

Yes, I did mean to make that all capitols and I know it's the equivelant of "shouting" in a forum, but it has to be said.

If you could see the warning signs which are on petrol pumps in European countries, you'd **** yourself and never touch the stuff with your hands again, much less breath the fumes... :eek:

The signs go along the lines of "Do not allow unleaded fuel to come into contact with bare skin, do not breathe fumes, do not under any circumstances use this fuel in any machinery which does not have a catalytic converter fitted (mowers, lawn-trimmers, generators, etc). This fuel contains carinogenic additives and benzines which will cause long-term damage and health problems to humans, and so on and so on.
I don't know why pumps here don't have similar warnings...well, I kinda do know, it is the push by greenies to make us use unleaded and brainwash us into thinking it is clean and green and nice and safe...but they should have them. The closest I have ever seen in Australia is a small sign saying "do not use unleaded fuel to wash parts". Not enough, should be clearer.
Basically put, the fumes coming off unleaded are far worse for you than the old stinky leaded fuel. The fumes coming out the exhaust of an unleaded vehicle with either a cold cat converter or no converter at all are carcinogenic and not very good for you at all... :bang:

Another danger not a lot of people know about is toluene. It accumulates in teh body and doesn't ever leave...I know a guy who had used it for hobby purposes for years, and had a heart attack at 29, and now has heart damage from a buildup of toluene in his system.

Seriously, don't frig around with the stuff...unleaded fuel too, don't use it to wash parts, it ain't worth the risk...and with the price of petrol, degreaser is cheaper... :D

WILD VR CLUBBY

lack of licence
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy s
i wish a saw that b4 i did it

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Heres another hint my hubby learnt the hard way lol, always take the fuse out 4 the fuel pump when changing fuel filter, or else you might cop an ear full of fuel which is quite painful.

WILD VR CLUBBY

lack of licence
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy s
i didnt do that and i got nothin coz i coverd it with me finger but thanx for future reference i will do that

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project