Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Warranty Issues

enf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline 2017
Hi,
My VF2 Redline has had a lifter failure at 5000kms. I had to make several phone calls to drag that much out of them. The only mob that have had their hands on it ARE at the local dealer. It went in for the rocker recall 3 months ago.

Is there anyone besides a run of the mill dealer that can perform warranty work?

I'm just want to be ready if there are further issues....

Cheers

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
It was my understanding that only the dealer can do warranty stuff ... you can get it serviced at an MTA mechanic, but for warranty it's dealer.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yeah, it can be problematic as I’d prefer an ‘expert’ do such recall work but there seems no option other than having a Holden dealer do the work.

And in your case, requiring the head come off to fix the lifter, it would make it a no brainer to do a cam upgrade at the same time if it was something you were considering.

But I’d guess Holden won’t do such upgrade work during a recall job which may be the reason for the question...

Me, I’d be peeved in having had a rocker fix only to have a lifter fail soon after, and as such I’d question the capability of the tech or the quality of the motor within the vehicle...

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Hi,
My VF2 Redline has had a lifter failure at 5000kms. I had to make several phone calls to drag that much out of them. The only mob that have had their hands on it ARE at the local dealer. It went in for the rocker recall 3 months ago.

Is there anyone besides a run of the mill dealer that can perform warranty work?

Cheers

Read your GMH warranty terms and conditions. The Holden dealers are designated by GMH for warranty work.
You must work through the dealer service network for warranty claims.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Read your GMH warranty terms and conditions. The Holden dealers are designated by GMH for warranty work.
Yep. Warranty work through the dealer only

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Many years ago, the manufacturers views and documentation were that service must be done at a dealer service department or you loose your manufacturers warranty. Such views were jumped on years ago by ACCC and those terms were removed from warranty documents. Now service can be done elsewhere while still retaining one's factory warranty.

More recently, manufacturer incorrectly viewed their warranty processes as trumping ACL (for all intents and purposes). Now we now know that the law has a different view on the matter and as a result Ford has been fined $10M and required to do certian corrective actions. Separately, Holden, Hyundai and others have made undertakings to ACCC not behave like dushbags when it comes to warranties.

So, I'd consider the fact that a manufacturer mandates warranty work must be done at a dealer only carries weight by virtue of it being written down on the manufacturers warranty documents. People believe such has the force of law behind it so in that sence it serves the intended purpose, however it's in the same vien as the above and likely does not carry much if any legal weight.

After all, did anyone sign an contract that stated they will comply with the manufacturers warranty conditions? My sales contract makes no such mention of any warranty conditions and in any case ACL trumps whatever would be stated (especially if some warranty conditions tried to removes ACL rights in law).

Put another way, just because it is written in some document doesn't make it have the weight of the law behind it...

Having said that, you'd have an argument on your hands if you wanted warranty work done elswhere. So unless you have solid grounded reason, correlated to ACL legistaltion, for requiring the warranty work be done elsewhere, and i can't think of one, then it's simpler to just go with the flow and do the warranty work at the dealer.

That is, unless you are willing to fight by requesting the selling dealer to pay for the warranty work at one's prefered place and then bring a case to your states Consumer Admininistration Tribunal when the dealer says 'no'... along with a solid grounded reason as to why you don't want the dealer to do the work... and all that may still be an uphill battle...

Maybe a solid grounded reason could be that the dealer bothched the rocker repair and Holden can't recomend any other dealer as being more competant. But you'd need an expert witness to testify that the first recall was botrched after he inspected the damage engine... Such experts are expensive and i'd suspect that may still not be enough...

Oh, and expect wanting to do extra work (like fitting a cam for example) while doing a warranty lifter repair is NOT a valid a reason for wanting to do the warranty work at some place other than a a dealer, simply because the dealer wont fit a cam at the same time...

One day, the law MAY catch up with the view that warranty work can be done at other than a deaeler network and at that time manufacturer process would be put in place to allow such. Even then, the process may preclude even non deealers from mixing warranty and non warranty repairs.

Until then, it's "warranty work through the dealer only" as also stated by Ron :p

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Hi,

Cheers

Basic answer (all that is needed) is only dealers can do warranty work as they claim the parts and labour costs back from Holden.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
You win more with honey than vinegar. Go see if you can get on friendly terms with the service manager there and see how much they're willing to help. You'll occasionally find a good s/m that will bend rules for you (rules are to be bent and not broken imo!).

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
No rules to bend, if it's under warranty they will fix it.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
You win more with honey than vinegar. Go see if you can get on friendly terms with the service manager there and see how much they're willing to help. You'll occasionally find a good s/m that will bend rules for you (rules are to be bent and not broken imo!).
Agreed but pity @enf has not made any further comments since his 1st post.

We really don’t know anything more about his situation other than what he first stated... I would have hoped he clarified why he wanted to go elsewhere by now... oh well...