Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Was the Alloytec a dud?

mikzmixify

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore executive
You don't even need to compare it to international cars, just compare it to the Barra. You still see FG Falcon taxi's and fleet cars with a million+ km on them but don't see any VE commodores...
yeah your right

mikzmixify

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore executive
Those of us who have experienced Holdens over many years know that Holdens have been fitted with a multitude of 6 cylinder engines. Until the Alloytec, the only really "advanced" engine was the Nissan six in the VL. While the other engines were basically unrefined, they were reliable. In the case of the Ecotec, its overall reliability, durability and economy are well acknowledged.
The Alloytec, though is a different matter altogether. Chronic and very well publicised failings like timing chains, sludging, poor crankcase ventilation and complexity have given the engine a bad name. It's not only in Australia. I looked through a number of videos on YouTube and the Alloytec has just as bad a reputation in the US.

I had a 3.2 alloytec in my 2006 Captiva, with 206k when I sold it, with none of the problems evident during the 3 years I owned it. My sons VE Omega, purchased s/h in 2010, drove across the country for 4 years, travelling from Melbourne to Darwin, and also never missed a beat, so they can be reliable. Some members of this forum have mentioned how reliable their VE's have been but more commonly, when a newbie asks for advice about purchasing a VY or VZ for a first car, we advise the older car, because it didn't have an Alloytec.
So, is the Alloytec a dud? Opinions?
i reckon the bogans with mullet gave them a bad reputations.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
i reckon the bogans with mullet gave them a bad reputations.
Every engine with a long timing chain is going to stretch chain when reved hard are its called maintance to replace a worn chain. Rarely do they break the chain and totally fail. i seen blokes I didnt think could raise a hard on show up with streched chains.

Col115

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
My 2005 Alloytec (pre timing chain change) has now done a trouble free 438000km. Serviced every 10-15000km with synthetic 10-40W oil. A lot of those km have been highway though & it has always liked to drink a litre or two of oil between services since I purchased it at 90000km. Still on original auto box as well which is serviced every 100000km. Maybe I have been lucky but my Crewman has been by far the best & most reliable car that I have ever owned.

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
not many motors are duds, mostly its the engineers who design their particular weak spots and the bs emissions controls and fuel
nothing wrong with a well looked after/serviced alloytec

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
This was a funny thread. It's not a dud motor. But if you are an idiot owner who never services the car or let a dud mechanic service it who doesn't actually change the oil then you're going to have issues.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Once a Again I bough a Cheap VE 3 years ago and the owner gave the car to his X wife and she never change the oil in 8-10 years and the car done 80,000 odd k's with her until I got it. Yes it was a LEO Alloytech and i'm still waiting for the engine to go BANG but it still going and the motor is quite as a mouse (Full of insulating Sludge) The car has done 156,750 when I got it from new and it had only 3 or 4 oil changes during this period.
I change the oil and filter under 5000k and use Penrite GF-5 5W30 fully synthetic . The car has gone from Madness to a OCD like me.
Have a look at the Filter, By the way the car was purchased NEW and never seen a Holden Dealer, The few services it had was done by local, As for the auto box, What do it needs to be serviced the the auto?
I had to use a chisel to get the pan off and serviced it twice in in the first month.

Sludge in filter

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
In hindsight I would have bought a Falcon or Mitsubishi 380. The L36 in my car has not been reliable, despite regular servicing/ As for the alloytec, I doubt you'll see meany of these on the road in 20 years time

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
In hindsight I would have bought a Falcon or Mitsubishi 380. The L36 in my car has not been reliable, despite regular servicing/ As for the alloytec, I doubt you'll see meany of these on the road in 20 years time
Maybe in boats..... As anchors...