Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Was there really a VY Sandman???

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
sandman.png
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wes..._campaign=MF-cars-MAU&utm_content=120777_9299

One of 245 built?? Is this a gimmick or dealer option thing? I never saw an ad for the Sandman, whereas the Holden ute used to get plenty of airtime.

VSHeaven

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S2
As a factory car produced by Holden? Nope. That thing's got more stripes than a Bengal tiger.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Holden produced the canopies (I am pretty sure but not 100%) but it was never called a sandman or available as a complete vehicle from factory.
Holden build the one below and I recall seeing some of the canopies fitted to Utes back then.

IMG_1074.JPG

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I didn't think Holden made a new Sandman, like they did with the Monaro.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I also hardly think they will ever be collectable even if there were only 245 made. They are not exactly a nice looking panel van IMO.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Holden produced the canopies (I am pretty sure but not 100%) but it was never called a sandman or available as a complete vehicle from factory.
Holden build the one below and I recall seeing some of the canopies fitted to Utes back then.

View attachment 199947

With graphics from Reg Mombasa IIRC.

VSHeaven

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S2
Holden didn't produce the canopies. In essence, a ute was sent to an aftermarket company to undergo an irreversible procedure that transformed it into a panel van. Think along the lines of Holden ute trays and hard covers as far as changing a stock ute/one tonner is concerned.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So essentially the 245 made were just the number of customers that wanted the mods done to a basic ute. The ad made it sound like they were factory panel vans, pfft far from it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ad says genuine VZ Sandman, for $25k, bahahaha.

VSHeaven

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S2
So essentially the 245 made were just the number of customers that wanted the mods done to a basic ute. The ad made it sound like they were factory panel vans, pfft far from it.
I would assume as much. One thing is certain though, Holden never ran these things down the line or anywhere near it. I would go as far as to say that if you wanted one you would have asked for that to happen at the point of sale when buying a ute. Dealer sends ute to aftermarket company to have the van conversion done before you picked up your new ride. As far as Sandman stickers and crap is concerned, I have no idea.