Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Water pump gasket. Why is there 2 in the pack?

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
My replacement water pump arrived, and has 2 identical gaskets with it. Even the pictures of the pumps for sale show 2 gaskets. Why? Are you supposed to use them both?
I would have thought just make a thicker gasket.
So do they just come with a spare? Or I'm supposed to double them up?
Thanks.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The extra gasket was for the really early V6. Just use the one gasket, and if it has a hub spacer leave that out as well.

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
They do come with 2, but I've only ever used 1. Never experienced a leak before. Last time I used 1 gasket & a thin smeer of gasket goo, even though you're not supposed to. You would hope the black sealant slows corrosion (or does it?).
When I took my lower intake manifold off, the mechanic was shaking his head because someone had used silastic to seal the gaskets. He may well be right, but the underside of my intake didn't have a single channel of pitting. The only wear was through the coolant passages/outlets.

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Thanks to both of you. Should have mentioned it was for a VX, so not an early version.
The spacer plate had me scratching my head too, but even if that is or isn't needed, that's an easy on/off job.

Reactions: Lex

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Just an update. Seems to have gone well. Used the single gasket, but did use the spacer. Measured the thickness of the piece the spacer bolts on to, and without it, would have been thinner.
But, just as I was about to type this reply, I realised it may have been thinner, but could have been further out than the original.
I'll double check tomorrow that the belt is sitting on it properly.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The spacer too is for really early V6 which is why I said to leave it out.

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
i don't think 1 mm would make a huge difference. the amount of tension from the belt will still turn it efficiently

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
It's not so much the tension, but where the belt would run on the pulley. Was worried it may be a bit too much towards front of car, meaning it would be a bit on the curved part of the pulley.
Which could make it run off it.
Wasn't hard to put it on anyway.
Did do a noob mistake and forget to undo the bolts before removing belt, but a screwdriver jammed in there sorted that out.

Reactions: Lex