Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Water pump leak?

Keegzzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais
So my car is in a crisis at the moment, first the strut hats are worn, then needed engine mounts to be replaced, then had a pressure test which resulted in heater fore leak and now I believe the water pump is leaking. Noticed a fresh coolant stain directly under pump and upon further inspection saw a leak just below and to the left of pump on the engine block. Is it a matter of just a gasket replacement or should I go ahead and replace pump to?

I doubt I'll be keeping the car much longer as it's proving to be quite the burden but for the time being I'd like to keep it running smoothly

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hi
I'm thinking heater pipes. Where they leave engine & return to engine block. Under belt tensioner.
"saw a leak just below and to the left of pump on the engine block."
I once saw what you saw & thought, same as you, went out & bought new w/pump. It was only leaking from heater pipes. But the pump did need replacing in my case.
Hope this helps.
Lex

D

devilly

you won't know for sure until you take it off,
if you need just a gasket or new pump,
only test i know is take belt off.
see how it turns by hand and try moving the pulley left to right
up and down.to try and feel how the insides are.
check pipes to the left of it like Lex said could just be radiator hoses clamps or inside pipes broken down.
check for any thing floating in coolant under radiator cap.
the more that gets fixed on it, the more peace of mind and reliable it will become for you :)