Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Water to Air Intercoolers

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
sixshooter, this W2A cooler doesn't have anything to do with the manifold. it sits in the engine bay. QUOTE]

when i said that. notice i said "this W2A cooler"
i wasn't talking about eh ones you arte talking about..

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Agh great !!! a picture tells a thousand words... Should bolt up easy enough with a few mods...though I wonder what CFM they allow air flow at and whether it is adequate for a 3.8 L compared to the 4 cylinder it came off. :-\

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
i know what you are talking about.. i know how they work.. yella terra make ones that work in the manifold. the one i WAS going to use sits in the engine bay. look on ebay and type in "water to air" there should be at least 3 on there. ther eis a toyota one and a couple of suburu ones. these work the same as the ones you are talking about except they go where ever you can fit them in the engine bay.
the only reson i am not going that way is because the one i have will not work for my setup so i have found out. the inlet of the cooler and the piping between the turbo and the cooler would have to weave in and out between the exhaust and one of the exhaust manifolds. also the cooler would nearly be sitting on the exhaust. there for it would heat up too much and not be worth while doing, that is why i am now going for a front mount cooler..
idealy i reckon a good setup would be a FMIC and a water to air like you are talking about to pic up any heat soak from the inlet piping. then there would always be nice cool air.. but unfortunantly i don't have that sort of coin..

Thats why I said in the beginning a normal A2A would be (easier / cheaper ) for your engine... unless you get a custom intake manifold made.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
i really would have liked to of made my own water to air cooler. but oh well. maybe next time..
using the suburu setup would ahve worked really well if it wasn't going to sit so close to the exhaust

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Maybe don't give up so easily, there are plenty of advantages to running W2A. Google Sy/Ty or GMC Syclone or Typhoon for some inspiration. (The Sy/Ty engine is essentially 3/4 of a 350 Chev smallblock.)

I don't think that an A/C condensor or oil cooler will be the best radiator though. Look for a small car radiator or large heater core instead. Maybe from a truck? The pump would be best operated in response to temperature, though using boost pressure would anticipate the temp. rise. The IC acts as heat sink as much as a heat exchanger with W2A.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
i really didn't want to give up, but i have. i bought a 600x300x76 FMIC last night and should be here friday..
how ever. i have seen some that are just tube shaped. if i ever seen one of them again i will be tempted to buy one and us it either aswell or take teh front mount off to see if there is any differences.. i still have more cares to play with. so i may be able to use the one i have on something else.. i have a mazda 929 2 door i am putting a draw through turbo setup. with those setups you can't run an intercooler is it is dangerours. the fuel can sit inside the cooler and explode. so running a water to air on that setup might work ok seeing you only run water in the cores. then again thgat may give me too much lag with throttle responce..
would be something to think about anyways.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Running a fuel air mix through the IC core will still be an issue with W2A.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
but with W2A you run water inside the cores of the cooler. the intake air runs (and fuel in the case of a draw through setup) blows through the outside of the cores.. but still like you say it could be a problem..

Furious_8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Twin Turbo, VN Turbo, VY Storm
Seems like this has turned into you teaching people about the things.....:)

Here is a picture with some in many shapes and sizes.

Water To Air Intercooler