Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

weathershields

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl v8 commodore
hi all thinking about buying a set of genuine weathershields for my vf2 redline and wondering if any other forum members had brought and fitted any, i think they attach to the car similar to the sports armour with 3m type double sided tape which i think is good as no clips to scratch paint and can be removed later without any paint damage
my main reason i want them for is being able to drive at higher speeds with the window down and not being buffered with wind and i have found with light rain and window down the wipers throw the water into the drivers side window with embarrassing results,
so are they a worthwhile accessory for my car ,
or am i a old fart showing my age, i can buy genuine ones for around $120 and am thinking if i don't buy some soon the genuine holden stock will dry up.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
I have a friend driving a Maloo who has had his window trim deformed by Holden's own genuine weather shields (slimline black), which use clips inserted under the trim and secure to the shield with tiny plastic pins. But they can also abrade the window and potentially scratch window-tinting film. He removed and threw them out a year or so back. Self adhesive ones will probably weaken or deform with exposure to high temperatures. In reality, not many cars have these things, for the reasons above, and also such obscure, hitherto unknown reasons such as if travelling on The Ghan (Motorail) all weathershields (and bonnet stone-deflectors) are required to be removed from the car -- yes, they can fly off, break off or loaders and staff walking up and down the ramp can catch on them...

Use the climate control to set fresh air intake -- I lock all of my windows when carrying passengers so the car doesn't fill with fumes e.g. going through tunnels.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
i use slimline aftermarket ones on mine so i can have the window open about 40mm in the rain and not have water come in.
they just use double sided tape to attach to the door frame and when installed correctly will not come off.
i use the same setup on all my vehicles without issue and i have also removed them and the tape does not screw with the paint/powdercoating.

i have never actually tried the genuine ones but i would guess they are no different to the aftermarket ones apart from a logo and looks.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I can't vouch for the genuine but ive used ones off ebay for my wagon and an Accent , front and rear slimline that both use 3m tape without any issues . The only problem I had was when I put them on my car a didn't quite stick the driver side in the right spot at the front/leading edge and tried to move it slightly and weakened the contact , it came a bit unstuck after a while in the first couple of inches , I used a small amount of Tarzan Grip and haven't had an issue since . Key is prep the window frame's well with the wipes provided and position them correctly first time . I tend to drive with my window open all the time , a bit of a habit from when I used to smoke and still prefer it down . They don't offer great protection from the wind but you can crack the windows a couple/few inches in the wet and they do stop water from the wipers coming in the window to a certain degree . You would need the big 'ol fashion ones that are about 6" wide to get full protection but they look crap

Last edited:

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
I have genuine slim-line on for about 3 years. Attached with tape and clips. No issues at all.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
And the major side benefit (if you drive a V8) is that you can listen to that glorious V8 burble as you drive around without messing up your passengers' hair. Of course, you will already be wearing an appropriate HSV, Holden Racing, or similar logo cap, so that the air stream never bothers you anyway (LOL).

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
got genuine off ebay. clips didnt work so just used the supplied 3m. clips also looked liked theyd touch glass directly so was an easy choice. drove from adelaide to Melbourne the next day after install, still havnt come off a year later. r8 them for leaving your window down a notch.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
i use slimline aftermarket ones on mine so i can have the window open about 40mm in the rain and not have water come in.
they just use double sided tape to attach to the door frame and when installed correctly will not come off.
i use the same setup on all my vehicles without issue and i have also removed them and the tape does not screw with the paint/powdercoating.

i have never actually tried the genuine ones but i would guess they are no different to the aftermarket ones apart from a logo and looks.
I have the genuine ones. They have never come off, or caused any issues. I actually like the look of them.

Wayno73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS
I’ve had the genuine ones from day one on the VE. Got them because all my previous Commodores let water in when you washed the windscreen. Love them though, got them on the Triton as well

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
We had the same fitted to our VE (same frame, same part numbers) and they got brittle over time, and broke. I removed them but that glue can’t be removed come hell or high water.

I’ve had weather shields (big and small) on all my cars from what I can recall. Not anymore though.