Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weight distribution and suspension setup

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Corner weighting done like this is only done if you're racing the car professionally. So unless you're planning on using the car to race and earn a living racing it, this is massive over kill....

BTW, I set up weekend race cars for the novice race drivers and none of these cars are done by corner weighting, because it's pure wank for a street driven car.

All that is required to set coil overs up is a tape measure.....With the car level, measure from the base of the rim to the base of the guard and adjust every corner of the car accordingly to the height you want.

The right hand front will need to be set a smidge lower, to counter act the weight of the driver.....To set this, just take a measurement, with the car sitting driverless.....Then with the help of a mate, the regular driver sits in the drivers seat and the mate then takes a measurement...From that, deduct the difference and lower accordingly, so it sits perfectly level when driving the car.

FWIW, if you're going the pure wank factor of corner weighting, especially with scales, you'd be adjusting them constantly, as you'd have people constantly in and out of the car, along with baggage/shopping etc etc, therefore the height will constantly be changing....constantly changing height = constant adjusting of the shocks to get the wank factor perfect all the time

When a car is setup with scales for street use the shop will usually ask if you want the front passenger included otherwise they do it with just the driver in mind.

I had one of my cars fitted with coilovers in Sydney and they used scales on each corner as a matter of course.

I had another car done on the Central Coast and they did the same as part of the standard setup procedure.

A wank it may be but some shops go that little bit extra when doing a job and you can say the same about many different types of mechanical businesses, some are more fanatical then others.

Coilovers for street use are not necessarily rocket science and doing it at home with a tape, a little common sense and understanding the preload setup and camber requirements will most likely get you the ride height you’re after.

The OP’s makes no mention of other adjustments like damping which could mean they are only height adjustable or he already knows how do the rest which would also mean he shouldn’t really need to ask the original question to start with.

A nicely setup suspension pisses all over an average one and occasionally you see an owner with a car that has had a shocker job done on it.

Some makes of cars come from the factory with inherent better suspension geometry than other makes and after you’ve driven some cars with nice handling characteristics you do notice the ones that have been thrown together and when you go aftermarket you do strive to match the feel of those that turn in nicely and do all the good things well.

BTW the place I go to is a business whose core customer base is MCM racers and he wouldn’t be without his scales for street or track work.

Not all street cars are used as family hacks.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
4 corner scales is the way to do it for proper breaking and handling

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
When a car is setup with scales for street use the shop will usually ask if you want the front passenger included otherwise they do it with just the driver in mind.

I had one of my cars fitted with coilovers in Sydney and they used scales on each corner as a matter of course.

I had another car done on the Central Coast and they did the same as part of the standard setup procedure.

A wank it may be but some shops go that little bit extra when doing a job and you can say the same about many different types of mechanical businesses, some are more fanatical then others.

Coilovers for street use are not necessarily rocket science and doing it at home with a tape, a little common sense and understanding the preload setup and camber requirements will most likely get you the ride height you’re after.

The OP’s makes no mention of other adjustments like damping which could mean they are only height adjustable or he already knows how do the rest which would also mean he shouldn’t really need to ask the original question to start with.

A nicely setup suspension pisses all over an average one and occasionally you see an owner with a car that has had a shocker job done on it.

Some makes of cars come from the factory with inherent better suspension geometry than other makes and after you’ve driven some cars with nice handling characteristics you do notice the ones that have been thrown together and when you go aftermarket you do strive to match the feel of those that turn in nicely and do all the good things well.

BTW the place I go to is a business whose core customer base is MCM racers and he wouldn’t be without his scales for street or track work.

Not all street cars are used as family hacks.

A good shop that sets suspensions up, ask if a passenger is going to be in the car.....A good shop also askes an approximate weight of the driver and adjusts the shocks accordingly......a good shop, also asks the owner/driver of the car to take the car for a run and come back, so the person that set the car up, can then re-check heights, with the driver on board, to make sure the car is level, BEFORE aligning the car....After the alignment is done, the good suspension shop, then gets the customer to come back in after it's done a few kays (generally 100K or a single track day) and re-checks the height, because it does tend to settle after the initial setting up of the height.

Those suspension shops that use scales to set a street car up, are trying to impress a customer with fancy gear, that's not required. So it's not going the extra mile as you say....It's trying to say, I've got a bigger one than the next shop.

And yes I'm fully aware not all street cars are used as family hacks......I know some are used for the occasional track days (which I have set up) and I've done ones that are build specifically for track work (that is purpose built bitumen race track cars, specifically built speedway track cars, specifically built dirt circuit cars, and targa track cars)......None of these cars have ever had a corner weight bulldust set up done and the owners are more than happy with the set up that has been done.

So as I previously mentioned....Corner weight setting is only done for a car that is used on a professional basis, to earn the owner a living.....Otherwise, it's pure wank and the shops that use them are only doing it on the general publics car to add to the wank feature

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
:D ....... thread dig !! and apologies to @Immortality for opening this can of knowledge again.

I have a question for our 'Merican friend, if it Reachers him.
He posted a comment this morning about a Monaro that has been deleted on a locked thread. :(

I would like to know, using the Imperial USA Standard of Measurement, for Volume by fridges, and Weight by Fat Elvis-es, how many sand-bags of Stockton Bight sand should I put in the Monaro boot to get the ideal 50/50 weight distribution, considering that the Monaro has the fuel tank under the floor behind the wheels, not behind the back seat over the wheels as per a GTO ? :confused:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
:D ....... thread dig !! and apologies to @Immortality for opening this can of knowledge again.

He posted a comment this morning about a Monaro that has been deleted on a locked thread. :(

I would like to know, using the Imperial USA Standard of Measurement, for Volume by fridges, and Weight by Fat Elvis-es, how many sand-bags of Stockton Bight sand should I put in the Monaro boot to get the ideal 50/50 weight distribution, considering that the Monaro has the fuel tank under the floor behind the wheels, not behind the back seat over the wheels as per a GTO ? :confused:

That will depend on how many football fields you need to travel.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Lots, or perhaps more than Many ......................... Sorry, can't be more specific than that.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Are you referring to the 2000 era Monaro, or the late 60's, early 70's era Monaro?

As we all know, he posted something up about the 30's technology, so I think it is fair you help with the era Monaro...

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Are you referring to the 2000 era Monaro, or the late 60's, early 70's era Monaro?
Specifically, a 2003 V2 series 3, not a VZ / GTO with the bonnet intakes.
It is common knowledge (maybe not) that the bonnet intakes changed CD factor at high speed, thereby altering the WD from something, to something else.
I will have to look in my useless information cupboard to find that report, tomorrow, if I am not too busy.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
In all seriousness, I can't work out if @Reacher is taking the piss, or fair dinkum about the crap that he is posting.
The problem is somebody will believe the crap.
There is a difference between harmless Monty Python ridiculousness, and bad information that can be misunderstood as proven modifications.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I honestly think he's a ******** posting absolute bullshite just for the sake of posting