Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

weird issue with cold starts

Schwuppes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais L67 (conversion)
hey people,

Been having this issue with my VT following a L67 conversion....

When the engine is cold and has been sitting for a while (say more than 2 hours or so) when I crank it the first time it doesnt start... the starter motor will crank and it will do its thing trying to start the engine... but the engine wont fire.
Then I have to wait a few seconds try again and the engine will come alive but with a weird hickup... almost as if its missing... it kind of rumbles around out of rythm.... it will usually come good after another few seconds... or if I open the throttle a bit and give it a rev (just tiny bit around 1200rpm or so) Its almost as if I have to bitch-slap it to "wake it up properly" if you catch my drift lol

Otherwise the engine runs fine no problems whatsoever. And like I said the issue only arises after the car has been sitting cold for a while.

Im thinking fuel pump too weak or on its way out? blocked/damaged injector? starter motor ####ed?

Schwuppes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais L67 (conversion)
hey all,

was wondering if a leaking inlet manifold gasket could be causing it?

And another thing.... are the standard ecotec coi packs the same as the S/C ones? I still have my old ecotec engine lying around, so I might try the coils from there.

cheers

Wayne Flint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I haven't got a clue as I am having the same problem. Could the crank case sensor be starting to play up. Is it slowly getting worse and getting harder to start? Hot weather or when the engine hot everything is fine.

MR VXS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS2 Dual Fuel Wagon
I had a similar problem some time ago, I changed my fuel filter, threw in some new spark plugs and ran some injection cleaner through and the problem went away.

Not saying that is your fix, but if you havnt changed the filter for a while, its worth a shot. Checked for any fault codes?