Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX commodore starts sometimes

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Looking at the wiring diagram,
1697502877927.png

+12 volts comes to the starter relay via the ignition switch. If the 12 volts is missing at the relay (pin 85) than the problem lies between the relay and the battery and is most likely the ignition switch. Pin 86 is the earth side of the relay which runs through the Neutral safety switch to the PCM (security system/VATS). You would need to test this circuit for continuity to ground. Or the relay itself is the problem?

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8
View attachment 259004
+12 volts comes to the starter relay via the ignition switch. If the 12 volts is missing at the relay (pin 85) than the problem lies between the relay and the battery and is most likely the ignition switch. Pin 86 is the earth side of the relay which runs through the Neutral safety switch to the PCM (security system/VATS). You would need to test this circuit for continuity to ground. Or the relay itself is the problem?
Sorry mate didn’t get any notifications so i didn’t bother to check up on the thread. I’ve just bought a new ignition switch and I’ll chuck it in tonight and let everyone know how it went. Fingers crossed

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8
Just a reminder for everyone. These are the new/changed parts that I’ve done so far for this problem.

New starter motor
New start relay
Cleaned out nss contacts with cleaner and a pick
Cleaned up motor grounds
Tested key battery - good
Key is making contact on the key reader
Checked for blown or faulty fuses. Couldn’t find any.
Tried locking/unlocking doors. Also checked if the immobiliser is activating randomly which it wasn’t.

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8
View attachment 259004
Just changed the ignition switch and still the same thing. It only does it when the car is warm. So I was thinking maybe CAS? Or possibly DFI as this module speaks to the ecu apparently.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
A faulty CAS/DFI won't stop the engine turning over, it just won't fire.

If it only does it when hot then something is going open circuit (with heat). It's going to be time to start testing circuits with a multimeter and see where the signal is lost.

Reactions: Lex

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8
A faulty CAS/DFI won't stop the engine turning over, it just won't fire.

If it only does it when hot then something is going open circuit (with heat). It's going to be time to start testing circuits with a multimeter and see where the signal is lost.
When I checked the start relay pinning with a multimeter. It showed that I was getting -12.84 Volts to the starter motor relay when it was working. When it didn’t want to start it would go to 0. No immobiliser nothing. When hot wired it starts and runs.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Then you will have to work backwards through that circuit to find where it's loosing the 12 volts.

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8
Then you will have to work backwards through that circuit to find where it's loosing the 12 volts.
Yeah I will have to. The pin that it’s losing power to is linked to the ECU and NSS. Doubt it could be the ECU though.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
How are you testing for 12 volts at the relay?