Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Welding techniques

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
I have arc and just bought a gas/gasless mig that I've been having fun with. Got some nice neat beads going with it but still learning technique through practice atm.

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
I like arc welders the most because they are so portable, cheap, reliable and you can use them in almost any weather condition. As far as working on cars goes though a mig or tig would probably be my preference. Also gotta love the auto darkening shields with all the shade control etc.

Im a qualified metal fabricator and an apprentice mechanical fitter. Its funny how much **** we cop from other fitters for being just a welder until they need something welded to code. Im copping double now because im just an apprentice too lol.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
i love my arc welder. the weight of the box works perfectly to hold doors open on windy days and keep papers on your desk. probably work well at holding a boat still while i fish too, but never tried it.

if i actually wanna weld something i default to mig.
if i wanna weld something and not set fire to everything within a meter or the project i use TIG
or if i wanna weld something thats rusty or may need belting around i use oxy.

each has its own purpose.

Hemiway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S1
General just want to stick to pieces together cant go past the MIG, Easy control plenty of adjustment.
When it absolutely positively has to stay where you put it then ARC wins, lots of heat good penetration .
Delicate and gentle then its time for TIG, great control doesn't try to set fire to the world around you.
When I'm at work Hydrogen Atomic welding. The hottest bad ass weld you will ever see. 16mm material 32t braking load.

Hemiway

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
i love my arc welder. the weight of the box works perfectly to hold doors open on windy days and keep papers on your desk. probably work well at holding a boat still while i fish too, but never tried it.

I've never actually thought of all those uses for an arc welder, but they're all great ideas. I might actually have to get one as a door stop, it'd certainly be much better at that than being a welder.

I actually think they're called an arc welder, because they went out with Noah's arc.

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
General just want to stick to pieces together cant go past the MIG, Easy control plenty of adjustment.
When it absolutely positively has to stay where you put it then ARC wins, lots of heat good penetration .
Delicate and gentle then its time for TIG, great control doesn't try to set fire to the world around you.
When I'm at work Hydrogen Atomic welding. The hottest bad ass weld you will ever see. 16mm material 32t braking load.

Hemiway

Nailed it, spot on.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I actually think they're called an arc welder, because they went out with Noah's arc.

Why, 'cause it needs a little bit of skill to use?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Arc's are the heavy duty work horse and have a very secure place in industry......Just as TIG's and MIG's do.
I don't think ships, oil pipe lines, or high pressure gas pipe lines would hold together very well if they were put together with a MIG.

I personally don't like the arc and I would rather use a MIG. But if the job calls for it I'd use it.