Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Well, the VF has gone - sold. So now for the completely different experience of the Golf R.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Wouldn't say no to a Golf R Wagon.

dazinau

Reaction score
Members Ride
Motorsport
Dunno about how long you intend to keep the R ... but my impression of the Golf involves a rental with ~80k kms on it.
Ghent CBD streets are all cobblestones & potholes, but the Golf rental was still solid & rattle-free, despite 3yrs' worth of numpty drivers mistreating it.

Wish the Redline felt as solid & rattle-free at 15k as the base rental Mk5 at 80k ...
I hope my Motorsport hangs together OK once it arrives - I have a 9yo Audi A3 turbo quattro (also APR tuned with exhaust), I test drove a demo GTS (with the Harrop 580kw kit - as an aside, stupidly fast!) but it only had 6000 odd km's and felt looser than the Audi.

I told myself it must have had a really hard life (the rear tyres were pretty fried) and the Motorsport will hang together OK - fingers crossed.

I also thought a lot about the Golf R - for me probably would've been the best option actually, but just too close to the Audi (although better in every way). Also time for another Commodore and having the Motorsport will be a little bit special. Also liking the look of the new Honda civic type R but want to do the right thing for the kids and get something with rear air vents.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V & VU S1
Thanks for all the discussion and sharing of knowledge on this forum the last 3 years.
Lol looks like we've swapped. I came from VWs to jump into a V8 :cool:
When it comes time for car #2 I'll be going back for a GTI

You'll love the R mate. Enjoy!

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
Any regrets changing to a VF from the Golf Captain? What do you miss about the german?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V & VU S1
Zero regrets.
I've always liked and wanted a V8, so when the opportunity came up I took it. Pressing the startup button and hearing that engine brings a smile to my face every time.
I do miss my GTI (had a mk6 with a DSG) but in saying that I don't drive the VF thinking "I wish it had this, or did that like the GTI" because they're 2 completely different machines.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Zero regrets.
I've always liked and wanted a V8, so when the opportunity came up I took it. Pressing the startup button and hearing that engine brings a smile to my face every time.
I do miss my GTI (had a mk6 with a DSG) but in saying that I don't drive the VF thinking "I wish it had this, or did that like the GTI" because they're 2 completely different machines.
Well put.