Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WET DOG SMELL

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
Hi guys this is my second VF2 UTE that smells like a wet dog in Winter. I've had both vehicles at the dealer and they have said they can't find the cause. Both went in for the HVAC grommet and that made no difference. The carpets do not feel wet but they certainly smell it!

So, I reckon I've narrowed it down. The water is coming through the floor!?? It seems to be a problem when I DRIVE in substantial rain, having the car sit in the rain or have a good wash does not illicit the smell.

Any takers? Be keen to go back to dealer with an answer so they don't treat me like I'm nuts. Cheers guys

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Have you had a look under the carpet ? If it is the same setup as the 've there is a type of plastic/ rubber layer between the carpet and underfelt so the carpet can feel dry but the underfelt will be soaked and that's where the smell comes from .

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
yeah mate i told them the smell would be in the underlay. they kept banging on about 'is the carpet wet?' I said no, but it does not need to be!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Interesting as i think we have the same smell in the Astra. It smells like my Pops old car that always had the dog in it.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
My VE makes a strange smell occasionally when the AC is set at a certain position. I've always thought the previous owner must have been a smoker and ran it on that setting.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
My VE makes a strange smell occasionally when the AC is set at a certain position. I've always thought the previous owner must have been a smoker and ran it on that setting.
A cheap way to get rid of the smell is to take out the pollen filter if you have one then start car turn on aircon and set it to draw in fresh air via the vent where the pollen filter usually sits then spray some glen 20 through the vent . This will kill the bacteria that causes the smell

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I tried the valvoline peppermint AC cleaner spray a few years ago and it seemed to work but I didn't have it on the smokey dog smell setting at the time and the smell still comes back. I'll take notice what setting it is next time i notice it.
Those sprays have a lot of alcohol in them so are virtually the same as Glenn 20, except they cost 20 bucks :$ !!

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I tried the valvoline peppermint AC cleaner spray a few years ago and it seemed to work but I didn't have it on the smokey dog smell setting at the time and the smell still comes back. I'll take notice what setting it is next time i notice it.
Those sprays have a lot of alcohol in them so are virtually the same as Glenn 20, except they cost 20 bucks :$ !!
When I done mine I changed through all the settings ie floor then face then demised and seemed to do the job . This tip was actually posted by another member some time ago so I can't take credit for it .

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Not sure if the VF is the same, but the VE had a small drain tube immediately infront of thr pollen filter - dont see why it would be different and well worth a look

This tube can become blockded ove time and can cause water to enter the cabin via the filter and fan assembly

Compressed air into the tube will blow out any crap in the tube and allow water to drain freely