Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Interior smell

vs355x

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf
Have had my VF Maloo for over 5 years (bought from original owner) - and still chasing a smell out of it.
After the car has been sitting (can be as little as a couple of days) - as soon as you open the door - there is a sweet smell (not musty) that hits you straight away, and then dissipates quite quickly but always has a slight underlying smell. Whilst the car is running with or without a/c on - you never notice it. The car can sit for a couple of months between taking it for a run.
Over the years I have done the following
  • Replaced radiator - slightest leak from one plastic tank
  • Had the afterblow feature enabled by holden
  • Verified myself it has the updated a/c drain and its fitted correctly
  • Tried numerous incar odor removal sprays - 2 or 3 of the A/C running and leave spray for 15mins.
  • A few variants of hand spray odor removal (bowdens, meguiars, turtle wax, glen 20)
  • Removed seats, rear firewall panel - wet vac all carpets (found a reasonable coffee? stain from console to under driver seat)
  • Fitted cabin filter - as it just had the mesh and no filter (Was fitted AFTER one of the odor removal spray and leave)
  • Just replaced the battery (previous one was always on a ctek charger - but definitely had the vent connected - as does the new one I fitted). Havent fitted charger yet
  • Left the windows down for weeks inside the garage (but dont want to continue that)
  • Checked seat back pockets, door pockets, glovebox for anything
  • I dont think i have driven it in anything more than a light shower - and have never felt any water after washing the car, nor seen any telltales of water leaks. (mind you water leaks would be more likely to be mould/musty smell - not sweet)
On and off - the above seemed to have maybe improved it - but in reality it has only ever been a temporary thing

Despite all the above - the smell still exists.
Whilst it is a sweet smell - its not like a coolant smell (90% of what you read online in general says heater core - and the smell is leaking coolant). I couldnt say 100% it isnt coolant, BUT - it absolutely doesnt smell like leaking coolant (which I am familiar with and can easily pick)

For other reasons - I have had under dash panels off. hoodlining down - basically everything except the main dashboard and HVAC system - and never spotted anything that would be causing the smell.

It is a really odd one - over the last few days since last driving it - I have been spraying inside to eliminate the smell, and checking each day, the instant you open the door - the smell hits you (if you are waiting for it) - then almost as quick - its almost gone (slight linger)

Any thoughts/suggestions - I dont want to go down the ozone route unless it is likely to fix it (which you sort of want to verify the cause prior) - and had read ozone is more for natural smells, not chemical. No idea if it is one or the other, but would have thought if it was natural - over time with all the above that was tried - a natural smell would have gone
(also - to be fair - this is a minor thing (can absolutely live with it and have), its not unpleasant or disgusting, and most people would just think its an interior smell/fragrance) - but with a little bit of ocd - I would like to solve/find the cause (even as much as anything - just to know what it is)

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
If it’s interior that causing the smell then ozone is your friend.

It will decompose anything organic. If it’s chemical I’m not sure.

Where are you based?

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
2106-8273b838-208b-464e-adf2-22dec371b579text (1).gif

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Are you losing coolant? Coolant has a sweet smell.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
like sour cream and chives chips smell?

find someone to turn on afterblow or whatever its called, so the fan keeps running after the car stops

temporarily you can just spray some glen20 into the ac air intake where your cabin air filter is

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
200w.gif

Hire an ozone machine. Smell will be gone. Thats guaranteed. They are used to deodorise houses after someone has been a bit not alive for a while. Or after hoarder clean ups. The smaller ones are used to eliminate smokers grot stink from used cars. They will get rid of that particular smell you have.

I knew a guy that had a smell like you described and thought of his subtle unpleasant sweet stink reading your post.

… is it bong water? Maybe someone knocked over a bong, … and then knocked over the bong spilling it into the carpet?

93675_giphy-downsized-large.gif

Or maybe the previous owner had compression sessions in there.

• Haha
Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Where can you hire an ozone generator?

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
I bought a ozone machine when I had to sell my father in laws SRT that he had smoked in for 10 years.

Cost about $400