Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What 4 Cylinder To Buy ?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Macca177 said:
got my sister a daweoo 94 model 4dr hatch...p/s....aircon...3mnths ego...114,000ks...5speed manual...central locking....60% tyers....$1100
1.5l injected motor too

but when i test drove it i decied it need a new g/box....thast y i got it for that...he had $3200 ono on the window...also had a small crack in windscreen.

after 2mnths its running fanstatic..she loves it... goes ok too with injection. and is really good on fuel.

My first job was selling them from new when they came to Oz. From memory mechanicaly they had a Holden family II engine and went quite well. The downside was the interior which probably wouldn't stand up to oz too well. If you can find a well looked after one, they should be cheap reliable basic transport.

Reaper

raZel

The ride for life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V - V8
get a 1991 subaru RS Turbo....2.0 Ltr Turbo.
REALLY mad cars!

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
I'm greatly tempted by something like my sons 1990 Corolla Seca SX hatchback. Twin cam 4-AGE motor putting out 140hp standard, five speed, cloth interior, sports dash and four wheel discs. Goes real strong and handles very well...almost enough to convert me away from rear-wheel drive... :yeah: .

I used to own a VC four cylinder Commodore with the back-fire four...wasn't real fact, but it was good on the fuel.

I wonder why now that someone hasn't tried putting some powerful four cylinder Jap export motor in a Commodore...something like a turbo four cylinder Silvia or 200SX motor. Might be an interesting project if you had the money to do it.

If I had to buy a four now, it would however be a Puegeot turbo diesel or VW Golf deisel...tons of torque, way more than the petrol variant, and staggering levels of fuel economy. They handle and go quite well too, and are pretty easy on the eye.
Alternatively, I would be tempted by a second hand three or four year old Subaru Impreza 2.5 RX. You've got a quite powerful car with good looks close to a WRX, but it is naturally aspirated and you haven't got the mad insurance prices of a turbo WRX which everyone likes to steal.

CommodoreChick

Resident Female Bevan
Reaction score
Members Ride
1985 VK
ohk I know this is really off topic.... But speakign of diesels my Dad has a really oldschool 4banger diesel merc... Guess how many KW it has..... wooohoooo 50! :p
But yeah wombat is right, diesels are a good option for fuel economy, the older ones tend to be slugs, but definately fuel efficient.....

Jesk

registered lunatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
96 ef2 fairmont
i drive a lancer 1.5L 1991 and its a dream to drive but if you do gravel roads the beam rear doesn't like it so well and if you want a little more power get the fuel injected model though they get less economy, though a lot of the carby models have dodgy choke that cuts out way too soon so its best just to let the engine warm up for about 5 min

czerwonyVN said:
Originally Posted by czerwonyVN
alfa romeo 33.

they sound sweet, they are different, they are fun and they are economical.

get over it, no one liked your idea czerwonyVN

G

GMVBSLE

czerwonyVN said:
they sound sweet, they are different, they are fun and they are economical.
I had an Alfasud Sprint with almost the same running gear as a 33. It was really economical cause it was in the shed broken more than on the road. :b:

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
get a 1994 model 1.8 lancer with a 5 speed and only ahve to pay for fuel at least once a week....even though i really dislike 4 bangers....milo tins...gin boxes...rice bubble packets......the lancer is the cheapest and nicest looking car when lowered a bit so its not reffered to as a 4WD

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
If anyone can afford it I'd go with the Peugeot turbo diesel, there's a whole family here in my town that have one each, just because they are cheap to run, 1500ks++ on a tank and pretty good performance sounds good to me, My wife says her next car will be a Supercharged Cooper Mini (the new ones) :p I might need to have a drive in that