Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What base ignition timing are you running?

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
need to get my hands onto a timing light, whats the effects on fuel and performance?

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
need to get my hands onto a timing light, whats the effects on fuel and performance?[/QUOTE]
3 way too adv your timing
1. octane
2. lower compression
3. adv the cam (every 2deg =4deg timing)limit 6deg cam

Last edited by a moderator:

vn_lexcen_s2

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 lexcen vn S2
i have no idea what u guys are on about..do u think someone coulkd explain to me what base timing thingy mubob is...heers fellas, ne info on it is greatly appreciated

im 16

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
They are talking about the V8's distributor and spinning it retro style to fudge the timing the ecu thinks its giving the engine, dodgy way of doing it but works if you don't know how to do it with the ecu alone. The V6 doesn't even have one so you wont have to worry about it :)

VpV6, the vn-vr computer can't learn anything, it's totally look up the numbers and fire there's alot of people thinking this does alot more magical things than it really does :) its anceint ancient retro stuff, we are talking not even commodore 64 power

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
Time to dig up a old thread...

I have a question in regards to my timing in the GTS. Now, when I when to take my dizzy out the other day, I marked the dizzy body in relation to the block, then cranked my engine untill the balancer? was aligned perfectly on TDC. I checked that the rottor button was facing the number 1 cylinder fireing area, ofcorse it was past the exact mark because thats timing advance. Stock is supposed to have 10 degre advance right. So when I looked at the dizzy body there was a mark carved into the edge, this was about 2mm clockwise of the rotor button at TDC, now im guessing that this 'mark' is supposed to be the stock 10degree mark, if mine sits 2mm behind that mark does that mean my timing is out ever so slightly? If so, how do I rectify this?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
put your computer into diagnostic mode loosen dizzy and turn it while engine is running, i run 14 degrees base timing and i even runs on 91 octane without detonation.

Diagnostic mode and turn dizzy. What tells you have it at 14 degrees? Just the timming light?

I'm running +6 (memcal) on the stock 10 degrees (as per Greenfoam tune).:thumbsup:

Note to self - to check base timming one day. (car does not ping on standard fuel with this tune)

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
With your tune I'd stick with 10 deg. Use a timing light and all should be well. I have advanced the timing a little (and a lot) further using a similar tune as a starting point and found significant hp loss as measured with the G-tech.

When I the VP is back on the road I'll try backing off the timing and see what effect that has.

Reaper

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
The car makes good power (seat of pans method) for a heavy VN and 3.08 diff. Also no pinging, so my car is most probable set at 10 with +6 in the tune. The engine is original spec so the cam would have worn a bit by now = less lift and so on. I'm guessing here but by adding a few more degrees on the timing just helps the old girl out a bit. A fresh motor may best be set at 14? Or is that just a crock of s?