Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What base ignition timing are you running?

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
just watched ya video mmmmm very sweet.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
1. I dont have and not going to buy a timing light.
2. Ive got a knockboardless tune from greenfoam based on the sv5000 tune with more spark advance i bleive.

Continue discussions.

Do yourself a favor and borrow one. You will need it for all of 10 min and set it to 10 deg. If you have a regular mechanic they may loan it to your.

Reaper

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
just try it and find out, you motor will not explode instantly if it pings just bring it back a bit if it does. greenfoam runs 14 with his tune.

Greenfoam might run a low 14 1/4 but he certainly does not run 14 degrees base timing :) I run the factory 10 degrees, anymore and my tune is a fail. It's allready maxed out at 10. My tune runs much more than 6 degrees advance in some areas of the tune too. The local kids that have no clue about making thier own tune run 18 degrees base on stock tunes and 14 on hsv tunes, This gives optimal performance on the drag strip but is risky because it gives you WAY to much timing over 5000 rpm. So it's only good if you are shifting at 5000-5200 and only with good fuel. If you have a custom chip the base timing should allways be set at 10 degrees. +4 degrees over the stock or HSV tunes will give you roughly .3 of a second on the 1/4 mile and that's more than you get with a full exhaust most of the time

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
pretty good for a poor mans tune hey bloke;)

88greenVN has a foam tune, better then a HSV tune and certainly no poor mans tune. plenty of advance in the tune, no need for more base timing. same goes for mack if he has a foam tune also

**** ey....

so 10 degrees it is then lmao:p

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Mack's is down a couple of degrees on full tilt because it's a 4 bolt gts after all and he didn't have a knock board in the spare memcal he sent me. So common sense made me go a little easy on it. But I have a ridgy didg HSV knock board here for him now so it's getting the full treatment

KRUPTD

VN BT1 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Crewman,XE Falcon,HJ V8 panel van,HZ tonner
:thumbsup:Yeah im running 10degrees advance on timing on my VN 5L,and also have a retunned memcal by :)yeah:greenfoam racing:yeah:) and boy does my VN get up and go.

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
Mack's is down a couple of degrees on full tilt because it's a 4 bolt gts after all and he didn't have a knock board in the spare memcal he sent me. So common sense made me go a little easy on it. But I have a ridgy didg HSV knock board here for him now so it's getting the full treatment
Foamie is my hero. :thumbsup: