Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What battery charger to buy

dan22

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 holden ve sidi series 2
Hi there I have checked my battery volts using the engineering mode in the car and it is sitting at 11.6 volts so I need to charge it what is the best battery charger to get for this

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Maybe Alternator isn't charging,,You may wanna check that out first..

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Are you not using the car very much?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
If you are not using the car regularly, you need a float charger (set and forget) to maintain the battery.

My garage ornaments don't get regular driving / charging, and I have 3 Battery Fighters which I purchased at a large car battery outlet, and they keep the charge up over any period of time. Purchase cost forgotten.

CTEK chargers seem to have a good reputation, and Ebay have any number of them, but I would recommend a bricks and mortar store (Repco ?) rather than save a couple of $$$ from who knows where.

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
I have a CTEK charger and no complaints to make. Has a maintenance mode so you can leave it on and forget about it.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Another vote for ctek, use one on my VE that doesn’t get driven a lot its connected 24/7 as mr bags said you can just connect and forget till the next time you drive it

dan22

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 holden ve sidi series 2
Are you not using the car very much?
I use it every day now I'm stumped I tested the battery in my car with multi meter and it says 12 so enough to kick it over but still won't I checked the alternator and it's fine

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I use it every day now I'm stumped I tested the battery in my car with multi meter and it says 12 so enough to kick it over but still won't I checked the alternator and it's fine
There is a lot more to testing a battery than a multimeter can test.

For the short term, battery world can load test it. Check its health. It’s resistance.

Now you own a VE, I strongly suggest you get one of these. Long term, they will help you out. Takes a week or so to get one if you are over east.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1754027...VTSobbORpi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
IMG_4199.jpeg

VE’s in low voltage situations are going to create more CANbus gremlins than all three Gremlins movies combined.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You can have a battery that will produce 12v. It might only be capable of 250-300CCA from its original 550 or 800CCA.
You really want to see better volts too.

Reactions: mtd

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I like the Projecta seven stage chargers. I have a cheaper Repco version but its not as good as my old Projecta was. I'd still have the Projecta but I blew it up with my old generator when I was living in a property without mains power.