Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What causes the V6 to have little power?

crazy.vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Ok. I've got a problem. Here are 3 cars. A vn, vp and vr. All stock motors. All done around same mileage, 300K. VN motor goes like a bat out of hell, the VR motor is nice and quick most of the time. Then comes a VP. Now this VP basically has the same motor as the other two. You put your foot down and it goes but just doesn't do it fast enough. It takes 15 seconds to get up to 100km/hr planting it. I'm not sure why. The components of the motor are fine, no leaking manifolds or low compression. The throttle body is clean and all filtrers and oil are new. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Burnout124

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2/ VY SS 6sp
possibly fuel pressure. but some v6 commodores go and others fly strange i know. have tryed and take out the restrictor from the manafold. Behind the elbow.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Sometimes you will get a dud motor,even from new,then other times you will get an above average one.It just depends on how all the parts match when its assembled.If everything matches up perfectly,the engine is gonna be better than one thats got parts that dont quite match as good.Its the same with all of the car,some cars will have heaps of problems,others that are exactly the same car,will never have a problem,I remember years ago,I bought a new YZ125,the guy up the road had one the same,and so did a mate in town,Mine went heaps excellent,well above average,the guy up the road,his went ok ,but not as good as mine,then the guy in town,his didnt go very good at all,it had lots of breakdowns too,we never had any problems with ours,these were all the same models,all brand new,so it goes to show,some vehicles will be lemons,some will be better than average.This old guy I know always says never buy a vehicle thats been assembled on a friday or a monday,as most of the assembly line workers have monday itis on mondays and more than likely will do a slack job,and on fridays its a rush to finish the jobs off so people can get to the pub or home or whatever earlier..He used to swear by this. Ive gotta admit,he never had many problems with his vehicles.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
300,000km on a motor that was a nugget to start with. Its never going to be epic.

turbo_vp_v6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp 3.8
i know this is going to sound strange but my vp was doing the same. replaced everything and then replaced the fuel filter and back washed the lines. Goes like a rocket now. ended up being just the filter was r/s and it was only 2 months old.

crazy.vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Changed the transmission 2 months ago on the vp. It kicks a lot nicer but no power increase so I can rule the trans out. Done the removing of the bell mouth. Made it just run rough. @Brett I have heard the same thing about motors being built on Monday's and Friday's. @soop, that couldn't possibly be a reason for low power engines. My friend had a stock vn with 500,000 on the clock and it still whipped VX's and VL turbos etc.
No fat drivers here.

I might look into fuel delivery. Thanks for the thoughts guys.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Druggies using commodores..

LOL.

That's a great way to spend your cash. If you had $500,000 cash to quickly convert to assets I doubt you'd be buying a commo.

Could be a multitude of different problems why your 3 cars perform differently...