Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What causes the V6 to have little power?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
And changed from a 90 degree block to a 60 degree block. Guess Buick were feeling cheap that fiscal year.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
We bought a new VN calais back in 1988 , it was pretty much one of the first ones to be made.The VN V8 wasnt even available then,and yes,it went a lot better than the later V6 VN's,VP's etc.I have heard and read about the bigger spec cam fitted in the first VN V6's,they also had double valve springs.The memcal tune was more aggressive too.Ive driven new VS's VR's and VP's back in the day,and none of them went anything like that VN calais.I thought it must have been a freak motor,but after reading about other peoples experiences,there was definitely a difference between the early and later releases of the V6.Ive heard holden got a lot of complaints about excessive wheel spin in the wet,so holden toned the camshaft profile down a bit,they also toned down the memcal tune.They killed it in my opinion,I wish my VS went as good as my calais used to.Ive still got the original handbook for it,it doesnt mention anything about the 5.0 litre engine,the 5.0 litre was releaseed a couple of months later.The later VN handbooks also included info on the V8 and utility models as well as the usual V6 info.Ive also noticed the very first VN long range fuel tank is listed as 85 litres,the later VN handbooks say it only 80 litres.The vehicle weights listed in the handbooks are different too.
First VN:
V6 Executive sedan=1312 kg.
V6 Executive wagon= 1338 kg.
V6 Berlina sedan = 1358 kg.
V6 Berlina wagon = 1415 kg.
V6 Calais = 1386 kg.

Later VN:
V6 Executive sedan = 1311 kg.
V6 Executive wagon = 1359 kg.
V6 Berlina sedan = 1370 kg.
V6 Berlina wagon = 1422 kg.
V6 calais sedan = 1395 kg.
V6 ute = 1312 kg.
I wonder if the old girl I owned is still about somewhere,below is the VIN number and engine number for it.If anyones got a VN calais,check out its VIN and engine number.It would be pretty mad to hear the old girl is still about.I know its a long shot though.She saw a hard time,radar detectors were still legal for use in NSW back then,so it was driven hard,it was always serviced at the holden dealers though whilst we had it.Im pretty sure we paid around $32,000 or thereabouts for her from the local holden dealer.She was coloured a maroon/burgandy colour.
VN V6 Calais VIN number = 6H8VNX19HKL303683
V6 Engine number =VH1010356

Last edited:

turbo_vp_v6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp 3.8
i know my vp beats vs and vt but dont think it would beat a vl turbo.

psycho_smurf

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Crewman V6
The VL turbos always win the queensland nationals 1/4mile. The closest anyone else came that I saw was a 9.something in some VZ ute. Not a VN in sight

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
The VL turbos always win the queensland nationals 1/4mile. The closest anyone else came that I saw was a 9.something in some VZ ute. Not a VN in sight

LOL, hardly stock VL turbos though.....

VTmadS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1
i didn't know so many muppets could be in the same place without the universe imploding

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
Take a stock VT S pack V's crazy. Crazy whips. VT driver doesn't believe it. Swap cars. Same thing, the VN win's. Go figure.[/QUOTE]

lmao, vt's are fat boats, anything and i mean ANYTHING can beat a vt v6....

You think thats quick for a stock v6 commodore? go look up morton's old vp and greenfoams old vn :)

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
No stock VN could go so hard, I reckon the VN has a police chip to be winning by so much...