Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What did you do in the shed or garage today

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
How come the bubble never sits inside the lines with its edges touching? Like, why do they have the lines never the same size as the bubble. It’s just kind of level isn’t it.

What’s the purpose of that? Bugs the hell out of me.
i think they can change over time/weather temp, also i had a cheap one and the bubble got bigger till one day it wasnt there, level became a boring straight edge...

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON

Attachments

• IMG_0212.jpeg
    IMG_0212.jpeg
    350.2 KB · Views: 28

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
How come the bubble never sits inside the lines with its edges touching? Like, why do they have the lines never the same size as the bubble. It’s just kind of level isn’t it.

What’s the purpose of that? Bugs the hell out of me.
It's a precision level, you have to be really close to 'level' initially or you won't see the bubble.

Each of the small divisions equals 0.02mm per meter 'out of level'.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Is there dildos in there?!
How Brave are you? :p

Some precision stuff is nuts when you realise the costs on them. Let alone knowing how close to perfect they need to be.
A mates had all his equipment for years, cost him nothing but is worth a fortune to buy now. Incredibly useful stuff if you know what you're doing with it.
But then again, to quote his words "verniers are guessing sticks" (rough measurements), as he pulls out dial indicators, micrometers and a bunch of stuff I had never even seen before.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
How Brave are you? :p

Some precision stuff is nuts when you realise the costs on them. Let alone knowing how close to perfect they need to be.
A mates had all his equipment for years, cost him nothing but is worth a fortune to buy now. Incredibly useful stuff if you know what you're doing with it.
But then again, to quote his words "verniers are guessing sticks" (rough measurements), as he pulls out dial indicators, micrometres and a bunch of stuff I had never even seen before.

As a Structures AME ,aviation , always used Micrometres at Qantas , on the the RAAF Hornets everyone used verniers , ( and yet anal engineering = go figure !!!) ,not sure I still understand that!!

Grew up using these
.https://cdn.mscdirect.com/global/media/images/tech-essentials/parts-of-micrometer.jpg

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Started to cultivate the vegie patch today. I got about 10-15mins into the job and cultivator has lost drive on the wheels. Just spent 20-25 mins tearing it down and drive gear looks to be worn out...... The one thing I never pulled down was the front drive box. Had I done that I might have found that the main gear was pretty well buggard and now may not have been worth doing a resto. I'm at a loss as to know what to do? I could sell it for maybe $200 as it has a basically new Briggs engine and the rest is worth something in spares to a Howard enthusiast, to which there are 100s. Or I park it again and wait to see if I hear of someone who has what I need or can make what I need at a reasonable price.

At this stage I will take it to may engineering fella at some point and see if he has any ideas. Then I will try and find a spot in the shed where it's not in my way now that I can't wheel it around. Surprisingly it only took me about 10mins to get the drive box separated from the rest and about another 10mins to get it apart, so I am getting to know the old Howard quite well, hahahaha. They are actually a very basic piece of equipment once you get your head around them. I don't know that a new Chinese one would be as simple.

It is what it is. These things usually work out if I'm willing to wait. So I won't be in any hurry to advertise it. I'll sit on it. Apart from the drive gear it's a simple job for me to get it sorted. It probably looks worse than it is too, Im pretty sure the gear is supposed to have a certain amount of dish otherwise it wouldn't work right I don't think? I don't know if the teeth could be welded up, and then machined back down, that's something I will have to ask. And if they can be, I imagine that's a pretty expensive thing to have done?
20240525_172121.jpg