Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What did you do to your VR/VS today?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think you will struggle to drop the engine in with the headers attached. IIRC my Pacies had to come up from underneath. I struggled for a few hours before I realised that there was no easy way. It's unbolt rack and pass them up. The rack only has 5-10mm clearance with Pacies not sure what you have there but they look wider than mine on one of those collectors.

What's the go with the manifold it looks really different to Series II Buick? I'd be interested to know more about the build too?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That's a standard LIM on the ecotec and yes they are very different to the Buick intake manifolds.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That's a standard LIM on the ecotec and yes they are very different to the Buick intake manifolds.
:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

I started to wonder that after another look and seeing the sump is different to my Buick.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Lol and I was getting excited thinking there may have been a trick manifold for my V6 I could get, for when the heads come off....

VS Work Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 series 2 VS V6 ute
lol, the sump is off the original engine (does have series 2 on the block) The sump runs a rubber gasket in a grove. I didn't have a the alloy rubber gasket in my kit, so this sump is going on. It also has a smaller sump bolt thread to the plain surface sump off the reco engine.

The extractors are split and rebolted above the tri-pipe so that the rear pipe goes around the steering. Mine has the getrag in it and it looks like it will fit if I don't touch the ground with the end of the pipes.

The inlet is off the original motor.

The heads have been full reco and shaved for some more comp, with Mace springs and 1.98 rollers.
Stage 2 crow cam and push rods.
Block decked, bored 20 tho, hyper pistons, standard mains with big ends line bored oversize
Reused the chain and oil pump as the spare engine was one of those rare very clean engines. It had a crook lifter and cam lobe half missing, so I guess they turfed it and got another. It was only surface rust on one of the bores that had it bored 20 tho to clean it up. The machinest said it was one of the tidiest ecotec he had seen in a long time.

It's going to be my work ute/run about. My Ranger has 2yrs and 14,000kms left on it's warranty (which ever comes first) so I need to drive it less to get my 2 years out of it. I do 70kms a day to work and back so the VS should do the trick until it applies for club rego in 22. I do Hill Climbs so the ute might suit one or two tracks so the build is for daily use and because I can't help myself I had to make it a little better.

Last edited:

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Finished pinning the new engine together and painted it Holden Grey Motor grey..... just hope it goes a pit better than a grey

View attachment 211886

Extractors test fitted well, but broke on bolt at 50NM so dragged them all out again found another bolt and stepped them in 5NM at a time from 40 to 50NM and all good. Going to attempt fitting the engine with them on as I have the steering rack off to put in a new set of seals.

View attachment 211888
Something different, Nice old 138 grey colour, will look mint if your ute bay is white.....
measure outside exhaust pipe to other side outermost pipe and compare with chassis rail measurement to check fit before install, but with steering out will make it easier :)

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Lol and I was getting excited thinking there may have been a trick manifold for my V6 I could get, for when the heads come off....
there is a trick manifold available, its called a 304 V8:D

VS Work Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 series 2 VS V6 ute
Something different, Nice old 138 grey colour, will look mint if your ute bay is white.....
measure outside exhaust pipe to other side outermost pipe and compare with chassis rail measurement to check fit before install, but with steering out will make it easier :)
Yeah she is white and oil leak black in colour at the moment... I just edited my last post and yeah I don't have too many concerns. The right hand exhaust manifold is a pain to get too and I broke one bolt and stripped another last time, so I'll do what i can to avoid that again.
Yeah I was sad to see Holden close down and after all it is a Holden six cylinder, so I thought a bit of a tribute to the past.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Yeah she is white and oil leak black in colour at the moment... I just edited my last post and yeah I don't have too many concerns. The right hand exhaust manifold is a pain to get too and I broke one bolt and stripped another last time, so I'll do what i can to avoid that again.
Yeah I was sad to see Holden close down and after all it is a Holden six cylinder, so I thought a bit of a tribute to the past.
nice personal touch with your thinking and being different to other people, call it blue healer
i'm no fan of the colour grey in other things, to gloomy for me but it actually suits the metal/motor aspect.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The heads have been full reco and shaved for some more comp, with Mace springs and 1.98 rollers.
Stage 2 crow cam and push rods.
How did you get on with valve lift? I was of the understanding that with Hi Ratio Rockers you would need a custom grind or did you fit shorter rods to stop the excess lift?