Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What did you do to your VR/VS today?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Sandblasting sucks anyway unless you have a cabinet. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to buy some from the shop near work. I've tried vinegar but it's terribly slow. Phosphoric acid works well but it's quite expensive.

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
Changed the CAS and DFI module on the Eco smeg.
Didn't fix the no start scenario...so cleaned the DFI connector out and took the black plastic cover off the connector, seems to be fixed but I'm leaving the cover off just in case...

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
VS Ecotec - 11PM last night going home from work, I noticed steering got heavy when turning a corner.
Opened bonnet, serpentine belt came off and belt was still in engine bay, that saved me a walk back to find it.
Got the torch out and then noticed water gushing out of the water pump shaft area. Lots of shaft play, bearing has sh!t itself.
Refitted serpentine belt an drove slowly home. Lucky it is only 2kms from home to work.

Tried small auto parts store near home today and they could get me 1 in later today and same at Supercheap.
Repco had a Gates brand, made in China ?? Comes with 2 year warranty.
Took me about 1 hour to remove and replace, fill and bleed water. Will give it a flush in the next few days and refill with coolant.

The old water pump is a GMB brand made in Japan on the casting. I put it on this wagon just over 5 years ago.
There was no warning, no noise, no leaks. I have the old pump with me at work and will hopefully perform an autopsy later tonight.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I have the old pump with me at work and will hopefully perform an autopsy later tonight.
Annoying when stuff that should last much more than 5 years craps itself :mad: but lucky you weren't far from home :)

At least for us, your misfortune will mean an autopsy will be interesting to hear about :cool:

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
VS Ecotec - 11PM last night going home from work, I noticed steering got heavy when turning a corner.
Opened bonnet, serpentine belt came off and belt was still in engine bay, that saved me a walk back to find it.
Got the torch out and then noticed water gushing out of the water pump shaft area. Lots of shaft play, bearing has sh!t itself.
Refitted serpentine belt an drove slowly home. Lucky it is only 2kms from home to work.

Tried small auto parts store near home today and they could get me 1 in later today and same at Supercheap.
Repco had a Gates brand, made in China ?? Comes with 2 year warranty.
Took me about 1 hour to remove and replace, fill and bleed water. Will give it a flush in the next few days and refill with coolant.

The old water pump is a GMB brand made in Japan on the casting. I put it on this wagon just over 5 years ago.
There was no warning, no noise, no leaks. I have the old pump with me at work and will hopefully perform an autopsy later tonight.
the GMB are the better ones. The local parts store & SCA likely use the same wholesaler. I know the place where we get our water pumps etc from is the same that SCA and others use.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
GMB Japan are good GMB China are not so good. I was getting about 6-8 months from a Chinese GMB sold through most stores. Got it down to about 30 mins to swap one over. I reckon I replaced up to six pumps in my time owning a VR.

In the end I thought it was possibly particles in the system causing them to fail, so I fitted a filter. Not sure if that fixed the issue or not as car was sold a few months later.

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
Chinese “truetrac”, I had to grind the end of the pinion (it did advise that in the ad for “some” housings), but for $350 its a cost effective solution.

IMG_0398.jpeg

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Chinese “truetrac”, I had to grind the end of the pinion (it did advise that in the ad for “some” housings), but for $350 its a cost effective solution.

View attachment 266110
What sort of torque do they claim they support?
Can you trust any of what they say or the specs?