Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What did you do to your VR/VS today?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
20191027_170935_resized_1(1).jpg

Wagon gone, only some panels and parts left now.

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
Finally got around to fitting an oil catch can i brought ages ago.

Umm'ed and ah'ed about installing it for a while, but after having a look down the throat of the beast and seeing the oil'y mess on the sides figured it would be only a good thing.

Followed info found here, and only plumbed it onto the side with the PCV installed. Left the PCV in place and ran the hose.

Found the heater hose for a VS V8 Commodore engine works perfectly with the setup, leaving a nice "hole" in the pipework to allow access to the oil filler cap.

Time will tell to see if it catches anything. I know it was useful for me with my Pajero, in catching a failing head gasket prior to it failing (lots of moisture in the can)
IMG_0588.jpg
IMG_0589.jpg
IMG_0590.jpg

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Did the LIM gaskets over the weekend. Got to degrease the **** outta the manifold, heads and rocker covers. She looks brand new, now just have to clean the rest of the engine bay to match the shiney bits.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Losh !

You left a good Crash Pad and HVAC unit in it !!!

With the amount you've done on your ute I won't be surprised if you want to replace the HVAC system at some stage. ;););)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
HVAC had a couple of holes and cracks. I was going to take it out but it was really no better than the one i have. Those things are cheap at the self serve wreckers. Dash pad was only an exec those too are easy enough to come by. I really didn't have the time to get everything off that I may want one day. Working 6 days a week most weeks. On top of that some leasure time, when i have it. I was sick of the eyesore on the Churches property and really wanted to get tidied up. Had it been an airbag dash pad i would have removed it for sure.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
blew the left rear blinker globe this morning and replace it but i notice it had dual elements either holden must have run out of single element globes 24 years ago or the person just grab one and stuck it in and bottom contacts are covered in gooey stuff
dropped a screw behind the bumper so took it off and fixed a minor scratch with alaskan white touch up paint and clean and polish the body and reinstall the light /bumper

zeropalooba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim L67 manual
Got my NVRAM working again by flashing/burning the correct .bin to it. My cheapo Chinese programmer works perfectly. Started turning off the auto flags so the check engine light doesn't stay on. On PCMHacking they say you only have to tick the manual flag and that will turn off all the auto flags but it didn't do it for me, so I now turn off each flag as soon as it sets. DTC 59, 67, 73 and 83 this morning. Turned car on and 82 got set. I figure it will be a process of trial an error.
Been trying to weld up a rust hole in the boot with a stick welder. Talk about frustrating, keeps burning right through. Will get hold of a mig over the Chrissy break and see if I can do a better job of it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Stick3 I think you'll find they are all dual globes in the ute. The single filament won't fit as the locating pins need to be off set or the bulb holder won't take the globe. The gooey stuff is what they use as insulation. I dug most of mine out.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Got my NVRAM working again by flashing/burning the correct .bin to it. My cheapo Chinese programmer works perfectly. Started turning off the auto flags so the check engine light doesn't stay on. On PCMHacking they say you only have to tick the manual flag and that will turn off all the auto flags but it didn't do it for me, so I now turn off each flag as soon as it sets. DTC 59, 67, 73 and 83 this morning. Turned car on and 82 got set. I figure it will be a process of trial an error.
Been trying to weld up a rust hole in the boot with a stick welder. Talk about frustrating, keeps burning right through. Will get hold of a mig over the Chrissy break and see if I can do a better job of it.
Hi
The welding & DTCs got my attention.
Welding, l maybe able to help you with (l'm not a professional welder either). Its going to take time. So you need patience. Its weld, stop, allow to cool (stop glowing red), weld, stop, allow to cool down.
& keep on till hole is filled.
If a large hole, get some steel, patch it.
1. Turn the amps right down.
2.Use 2.5 rods (they are for sheet metal).
3. When welding, position the rod on an angle, so its more pointing at the edge. There is more metal behind it, so as wont blow through.
Once you have some weld on the edge, you build on that edge.
I'm not very good at explaining things, while l talk, even harder for me to explain, when writing. Anyway l hope this helps.

Now, l cant help with the DTC, but noticed l have the same DTCs on my mock up car. (I'am fitting a 6L50 to my ecotec).
Im guessing no tranny (4L60) is plugged in. I'm also thinking l'll have to do something similar to you to fix the DTCs.

Anyway good luck with your project.

zeropalooba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim L67 manual
Hi
The welding & DTCs got my attention.
Welding, l maybe able to help you with (l'm not a professional welder either). Its going to take time. So you need patience. Its weld, stop, allow to cool (stop glowing red), weld, stop, allow to cool down.
& keep on till hole is filled.
If a large hole, get some steel, patch it.
1. Turn the amps right down.
2.Use 2.5 rods (they are for sheet metal).
3. When welding, position the rod on an angle, so its more pointing at the edge. There is more metal behind it, so as wont blow through.
Once you have some weld on the edge, you build on that edge.
I'm not very good at explaining things, while l talk, even harder for me to explain, when writing. Anyway l hope this helps.

Now, l cant help with the DTC, but noticed l have the same DTCs on my mock up car. (I'am fitting a 6L50 to my ecotec).
Im guessing no tranny (4L60) is plugged in. I'm also thinking l'll have to do something similar to you to fix the DTCs.

Anyway good luck with your project.
Thanks for the tips with the welding. I didn't realise I could use different welding rods. I'm using a borrowed welder with the rods I was given. I will definitely do some research now!
with the DTCs, I bought an NVRAM board from PCMHacking and it's well worth it ($200). Learning was a steep curve but it gives me total control over pretty much everything and it lets me use the factory wiring and ECU. Much cheaper than going Haltech too.