Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What do you think bout my combo?

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
email crane or ring them and see what they in regards to compression on the 284 They'll be more knowledgable than any tech article
EDit on there website it even says ALL cams other than H254 & C241 work best with at least 9.5:1 comp so there you go if you want the most out of your cam raise the comp

Last edited:

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
All i can say is, be prepared to be disappointed.....I just can't see why you came on here and asked what everyone thinks of your combo, when it's obvious you have made your mind up already....

In regards to the comp, you are making the wrong decision!

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Most 5 litres have a static compression ratio in the high 7's not the 8.4 the factory quoted too so it's not real flash :). The 284 will start and drive around on the stock tune but it will stall sometimes. If you stick a base tune in it and then do one Dyno pull with AFR readings you can get it perfect at WOT for well, the price of one dyno pull.

I don't know old the section you are reading on SC is? but all those guys are tuning their own 284's on the delco these days. I still don't think it's a ideal combo but it's really not worth getting a haltec. Maybe if you had a couple turbos hanging off it at 25psi... :), maybe

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
I run the manifold, cam and injectors you mentioned on my SS and have never had an issue. It drives well, sounds better than stock, looks stock and goes hard.
I did run a haltech with my old (larger) cam which ran like a pig and didnt go as hard ( because of the cam)
You dont need a haltech as the other boys have already said. Iv ran both and i, nor the engine knows any difference. Only the tuner would see any difference from a tuninig point of view. Cash for the haltech will be better spent on upping your comp for the cam. Youl get some gain with standard comp but you wont get the cams full potential which would be a waste.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Youl get some gain with standard comp but you wont get the cams full potential which would be a waste.

IMO, the gains on stock comp aren't worth all the effort/money....

As far as i'm concerned, if you are going to do a job you might aswell do it properly!

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
Thats why i said its a waste.