Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What do you think bout my combo?

Wagon_Wheel

Drop A Patch....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS Clubsport, VP Wagon Daily
Hey mate thanks for reply just got hsv diff gears and its a manual.

HSV diff gears???? Lol.... from what?
As far as im aware the only HSV gears that different from standard were the VP GTS (3.27) and the VN Group A (3.45??), correct me if im wrong though?
All the others up to VS were just the standard 3.08s

andrewownsavp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5.0ltr
So, are you upping the comp at the same time?? 300rwhp on stock comp is never going to happen.....Even with 9.5:1 comp, i would think the 284 would be really struggling to make that sort of power!

However, on a happy dyno i guess anything is possible....The MPH at the drags will tell the story though.

I would still recommend to stear clear of the Haltech, but it sounds asthough you have made up your mind! As for what will you lose going from the Delco to the haltech, you will lose a really good ECU for a POS....

Well mate it either listen to the Just Commodores forum or Street commodores tech guide.

And in saying that my car went 14.98 @ 95mph so therefor it must have around 217rwhp or 165rwkw yeah??

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
A guy on Street Commodores went 14.0 the other day in a VR manual at 97.5? mph with 225 rwhp (tune, full twin system with good cats), he's going to be the first bolt on 5 litre to go official 13's in a sedan (with the banana) anytime soon now.

So you would be closer to 200rwhp (150?ish rwkw) at 95mph. There is a few VN manuals in Melbourne running 11.8/11.9 with ported bananas and Crane 286's with headwork. I think it would be possible to make a 12.5 on the 284 in a VS manual but you would really have to drive it there. I've also seen cars with 284s in them make high 14's so who knows really. Don't get the haltech, seriously, how much do they cost? 800?, it's alot of money for something you dont need and just one more thing the cops and epa can ping you for, for that price you can cover machining the heads and a 3 angle valve cut which would be much more usefull

andrewownsavp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5.0ltr
A guy on Street Commodores went 14.0 the other day in a VR manual at 97.5? mph with 225 rwhp (tune, full twin system with good cats), he's going to be the first bolt on 5 litre to go official 13's in a sedan (with the banana) anytime soon now.

So you would be closer to 200rwhp (150?ish rwkw) at 95mph. There is a few VN manuals in Melbourne running 11.8/11.9 with ported bananas and Crane 286's with headwork. I think it would be possible to make a 12.5 on the 284 in a VS manual but you would really have to drive it there. I've also seen cars with 284s in them make high 14's so who knows really. Don't get the haltech, seriously, how much do they cost? 800?, it's alot of money for something you dont need and just one more thing the cops and epa can ping you for, for that price you can cover machining the heads and a 3 angle valve cut which would be much more usefull

Yeah thats true foamy although the people who do the chiptorque delco tuning or with the memcals aren't interested in the work so its not gonna happen and I would use you tune but I'am far away and yeah organising it and all got no time for.
In the begining I wanted to use the custom memcal but yeah can't do it that way here.
This guy im going through is doing me good deal and he is a Commodore fan so yeah he rates the haltech for street use also Street Commodore Magazine.
I know where your coming from though mate.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
So, let me get this straight.....You have around the 200rwhp mark atm (guesstimated) so you think you are going to pick up 100 rwhp (100 fwkw roughly) from a 284 and Starr manifold?? Doubt it mate....As i said before, dyno readouts mean squat MPH on the 1/4 will tell the power story!

You still didn't answer my question though, are you upping the comp??

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Lots of tuners work with kalmaker i'm suprised if you cant find anyone to tune it. I suppose it may depend where you live in QLD. But buying a haltech then paying for a tune on top is going to cost a ****load and it wont even start till its tuned properly (unless they will do a safe tune like wolf does). I'd be inclined to get greenfoam to do a tune then drive to someone who could do a full tune. Then compare how much difference is between greenfoam's and the tuners i dont think there'd be much.

andrewownsavp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5.0ltr
So, let me get this straight.....You have around the 200rwhp mark atm (guesstimated) so you think you are going to pick up 100 rwhp (100 fwkw roughly) from a 284 and Starr manifold?? Doubt it mate....As i said before, dyno readouts mean squat MPH on the 1/4 will tell the power story!

You still didn't answer my question though, are you upping the comp??

My car has never been dynoed I raced it I went 95mph with 14.9 and roughly with a car with still bit of wheelspin with that time and speed would have to make round 210rwhp.

I'm not raising the comp car is only 120 000kms doesnt need a rebuild so doing mods without needing a rebuild for now Street Commodores tech doesnt say nothing bout raising compression with that cam and it smaller then they cam they say to use.

I think you looking at the bigger picture like I own a clapped out 5ltr, also might be thinking of the 308 motor alot more.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
I'm looking at the bigger picture that you will need more comp for the 284 to work properly....Doesnt matter how many k's your engine has done, the 304 didn't come with enough comp to run the 284 when they were new! I'm not saying it needs a rebuild, however stock comp with a 284 is going to be a slug.....

Time will tell i guess.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
just pull the heads off and shave them abit no need for a full rebuild

andrewownsavp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5.0ltr
I'm looking at the bigger picture that you will need more comp for the 284 to work properly....Doesnt matter how many k's your engine has done, the 304 didn't come with enough comp to run the 284 when they were new! I'm not saying it needs a rebuild, however stock comp with a 284 is going to be a slug.....

Time will tell i guess.

Yeah it must I think I got different opionion on the matter then you I think, so does Street Commodores Tech and people ive spoke to.