Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What do you think is wrong with the world?

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
but I still don't understand, let people do what they want. Don't like what people are doing, get away from those people.

i agree, as long as my tax money isnt used for their medical help im 100% fine with people killing themselves off early.

1 less person i have to worry about when the zombie apocalypse comes.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
i agree, as long as my tax money isnt used for their medical help im 100% fine with people killing themselves off early.

Sadly, it is...

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I don't think you've much experience with temporary employment agencies.......One place I'm aware of that uses them occasionally pays just over double the normal wage to have a temporary staff member on. ie, instead of paying $17 P/H, they pay $38 P/H to have the temporary staff member on.....Add in, if this place employes that temporary staff member, which they have, they then have to fork out an additional cost, to the agency to keep the employee......

So it's a hidden cost that not many people are aware of

Don't forget that the $17 p/h isn't the only cost of employing someone. Add in super, provisions for sick and annual leave and so on and the difference is far less. Also easier to "dispose" of someone on temp labour hire than a full blown employee.

.....how can so many people justify around $200 a week on cigarettes? That's over $10,000 a year!

How can so many people justify the amount of money they spend on anything ? Many tens of thousands of dollars on cars, multiple thousands of dollars on rims or home theatre systems, hundreds of dollars per week on eating out at fancy restaurants, expensive bottles of wine, McMansions....you get the idea.

1 less person i have to worry about when the zombie apocalypse comes.

I don't like my tax dollars being used for sufferers of health issues from self inflicted obesity, diabetes, alcohol & drug abuse or those that enter the health system through their own stupidity of misadventure to name a few. But that is the society in which we live. Why single out smokers when, as mentioned earlier, we are at least contributing to our health costs by the very high levels of tax levied on the products we consume unlike most others ?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Being 26, having free periods etc in school did not affect me, Never been afraid of hard work.
At one stage while the Mrs was at Uni, I was pulling 12-14 hour days 7 days a week just to ensure steady income, even with a new born in the house with 4 hours of sleep each night.
Now she completed Uni sometime ago and income is good I have been free to reduce my work load and closing in on our house deposit finally, and back to a more balanced family/work life style.
Not all of the younger generation are hopeless. I honestly believe its what your parents did while growing up. Example, my father worked 12 hour days 6 days a week for 30 years farming. He worked hard and it showed the benefits of working hard.

Glad to see this.....Granted, it seems as though I have grouped all young people in the same category, when this wasn't my intension....

As for parents being the role model.....True in some instances, but not in others, very much like my grouping of young people.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
TBH, no I don't take any notice of private health care adverts. You are right however, you do pay more through the smokers tax and private health care. Then why does the government try to stop you from smoking through plain packaging, anti smoking adverts etc. Considering you're paying for your own health issues? This is what I am all confused about. I don't understand the big effort and push to stop people smoking. It started with getting the message out that smoking is bad for you, everyone now knows this. So why are they still pushing it?

I personally have no issues with smokers btw.

Personally I think it more to do with pressure from society in general, rather than general "fund raising" for a smokers health care....And of course, this is a personal opinion.

One thing that does get on my goat is alcohol advertising....Yes, there are a few ads on TV about the effects of alcohol when you've drunk too much, and how it can effect your life, if caught drunk behind the wheel along with the restrictions placed upon service of alcohol in licenced venues, but they still advertise alcohol, leave alcohol in pretty labelled bottles/cartons etc etc, yet alcohol can kill you in an instant, or cause you to kill someone else in an instant......

So in effect it's worse than smoking....Smoking is a long progressive death....Alcohol isn't, yet it's promoted....Bit of a double standard......

BTW, I have no problems with a couple of drinks every now and then, nor do I have an issue with people that do, but society in general doesn't see it in the same light as me, so they won't apply the same standards as they do with smokers

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I'm also caring for my mother who is in the early stages of dementia. I'm ensuring that she has a good quality of life. I'm still in reasonably good health at the moment so I'm taking advantage of it as best as I can. I've been heavily questioned about my life from the solicitors. The railways also know I'm a railway kid as I used to sleep in the back of mum's car when she was on night shift. I used to walk around the old railway workshops when we used to make things rather than have China put them together. When I started working for them, the old timers remembered me & even the trainers. The railways went through a massive period of asbestos removal using various contractors & continued with station tunnel upgrades.

I keep my mind off it & restoring my ute has helped me as now there's not much left to do on it. I may need a new hobby lol.

I take my hat off to you.....You are definately keeping yourself active and showing it's not all about you and your disease, by taking care of one of the most important people in your life....your Mum....

Yes, I know how bad it can be with solicitors grilling you about your life style.....

All that being said, by the sounds of it, you have plenty of years left in you so keep up the good work you are doing and best of luck finding the next hobby to keep you occupied

R

Risky

All that being said, by the sounds of it, you have plenty of years left in you so keep up the good work you are doing and best of luck finding the next hobby to keep you occupied

I've finished one ute (only a couple of small things to go), midway with the 2nd one & a 3rd one is on the cards lol.

Even though I smoke cigarettes I am careful where I light up. I never smoke around kids & I don't smoke in my car. many years ago my cousin was smoking a ciggy while she was driving & it accidentally landed on her lap. She tried to grab it & ended up flipping her car in a ditch.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The price of cigarettes these days amazes me. Not because it's so high but that people are still prepared to spend ever-increasing amounts to slowly kill themselves.

As a side issue, way back in the mid 1960s, when it was legal to sell smokes to kids, I used to buy my mum's fags for 2 shillings and ninepence (about 28 cents) for a pack of Capstan filters.

Killing yourself was no faster back then - just a lot cheaper.

R

Risky

Crystal methamphetamine wasn't a problem back in the 60's either but there's tons addicted to it today. It's not like getting an Orchy bottle & a bit of garden hose to make a smoking implement.

Bad enough seeing Ice addicts when I used to live in Sydney. They tend to kill themselves a lot quicker.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
The price of cigarettes these days amazes me. Not because it's so high but that people are still prepared to spend ever-increasing amounts to slowly kill themselves.

That was my point! Crazy huh. Making that choice should be simple.

They tend to kill themselves a lot quicker.

Thankfully. Much less burdensome.