Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What do you think is wrong with the world?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Talking about minority groups .........

I am a “baby-boomer” heterosexual male of English/Scots heritage with no reliance on religion, whose Australian ancestry goes back to the early 1800s. I do not suffer from depression, drug addiction or alcoholism, have served in the ADF, and paid tax from age 18 till 66.
That, to me, is about as “minority group” as it can be, but apparently everything that is wrong with this country at the moment is directly attributed to this dangerous group.

Best regards all.......Grumpy Old Man.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
What's wrong with humanity today?

Where do I begin.......

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
WHS (work health safety) is another thing I think is wrong with the world. FFS take responsibility for your actions, do we really need signs upon signs everywhere telling us how to wash our hands, how to use a basic piece of equipment, endless hours sitting in classrooms listening to WHS lectures about the bleeding obvious!!! If there is an electrical cord across the floor, step over it. If you are a clumsy oaf and manage to entwine your foot and trip, then you are a ########. Don't blame someone else, look to yourself for lack of observation skills and duty of care to yourself. The world has gone mad, we are wasting so much time, effort and money on paperwork and training on WHS.

I think I should stop now, I may be back later with some more things I think are wrong with this world.

Pretty much spot on regarding WHS, I deal with it on a daily basis and what we are actually teaching people is they no longer need to think for themselves as someone else is responsible for their stupidity. I had a word with our WHS advisor once and told him if I need to install signs in the stairwells to tell people to use the handrails so they don't fall down then they deserve to fall down. My theory is people are becoming less street smart as they no longer gain the ability to learn what commons sense is let alone practice it. I'm all for safety but also believe if you are stupid enough to do something that ends up with you being hurt then you need to take responsibility for your action instead of blaming someone else.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pretty much spot on regarding WHS, I deal with it on a daily basis and what we are actually teaching people is they no longer need to think for themselves as someone else is responsible for their stupidity. I had a word with our WHS advisor once and told him if I need to install signs in the stairwells to tell people to use the handrails so they don't fall down then they deserve to fall down. My theory is people are becoming less street smart as they no longer gain the ability to learn what commons sense is let alone practice it. I'm all for safety but also believe if you are stupid enough to do something that ends up with you being hurt then you need to take responsibility for your action instead of blaming someone else.

Creates a more litigious society where there is much more suing going on. That is why despite the roads getting perpetually safer, Greenslips are going through the roof.

Running community events for worthy causes are now a nightmare due to the paperwork involved.

But some employers, businesses, bodies are genuinely neglectful, so unfortunately we still need some risk management structure.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Common sense, or rather lack of it!

(maybe I need to add to my initial post)

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
I am just over 50. I grew up chewing on a lead paint in my cot.

I ate dirt and our toys at Kindy were not sterilised every week.

We never used hand sanitisers before and after we touched stuff.

Our playground had no soft fall and stuff that saw at least one kid a week break their arm. You learned the hard way to toughen up and look out for yourself. Today kids are wrapped in cotton wool, not allowed to explore their boundaries and fall off a harmless plastic bit of equipment onto soft stuff.

They also are not allowed to win or lose I understand. When I was at school during PE 2 team captains would be chosen and they would start taking turns picking from the rest for their team. I was useless at sports so was generally one of the last picked. Did it traumatise me for life? Hell no, I knew I was rubbish in that area but good at other stuff. Kids today all win, have smoke blown up their bums about how great they are at everything then hit the real world and can't get their head around employers telling them they are useless or didn't get the job/promotion as they are not that good. Then they fall in a big hole and start playing victim.

I came to Australia with my 10 pound pom parents where at school we all teased each other about our heritages and called each other snowflakes, darkies, wogs, poms, ities etc. We all took the piss, we all got along and no one was afraid to tell a joke. If you thought you genuinely hurt or upset someone, you said sorry and all laughed it off.

My sense of humour is warped and wicked however I can no longer share what I perceive as funny with anyone other than very close friends and family otherwise I will be the next one up before HR or the Judge having offended someone's little feelings.

Then there is the utterly ridiculous rules surrounding child care/schools where you can't hug little Johnny when he falls in the play ground because again, all teachers are sexual predators, or child carers must have two people to change a baby's nappy.

Sheer madness.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
with the internet.

Like all tools it can be used poorly and beneficially.

Restoring both the Commodore and the Volvo without the internet would have been a total nightmare (Volvo especially due to sheer rarity of parts, getting bits in from OS etc)

OTOH for children's education the single worst thing invented is the smartphone and social media. We have created a generation of kids with a 5 minute attention span. Who knows what they'll be like when they enter the workforce. Especially if they have to do office-based admin work. My co-workers and I grew up without smartphones, so we have good attention span. I can imagine me trying to train up a junior in this sector in 5-10 yrs time. Wow.

There's social media. It has its place, can be useful but can be destructive. Think cyberbullying. With what one views on social media, it is selective so in essence regarding news, you only hear what you want to hear. But its useful in having friends of different persuasions who can expose you to more ideas and one becomes a more well rounded individual.

Going back to Australia and what I think is wrong with it is we basically live in an unhealthy society. Obesity, depression and anxiety all running rampant. There is not much out there in the way of preventative health either. Unless you have money, or very lucky to find a bulk-billing professional, you can forget about quality mental health care. I have seen clients at work who were scheduled, and bloody well needed it, and they are let out after being given some meds. Anxiety isn't helped by a hyperactive media reporting various 'threats'. Depression isn't helped by society/media saying 'you aren't complete unless you have XYZ'. In essence, human society has developed far quicker than humans can evolve to adapt to it.

An issue I see is far, far too many people live in Sydney, Melbourne etc. creates traffic, pollution and high house prices. People should be encouraged much more to buy owner-occupied houses in the bush - perhaps provide exemptions from stamp duty, subsidise interest rates. Businesses that can do so should be encouraged to go to regional areas maybe have a sweetener of payroll tax exemption or something.

On a personal level I see a lot of people judging others based on stereotypes and half-truths without understanding anything about the situation.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
10fbe00be72795e479e2990f66fba651.jpg

supercharged-ride

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 Alloytec190
I am just over 50. I grew up chewing on a lead paint in my cot.

I ate dirt and our toys at Kindy were not sterilised every week.

We never used hand sanitisers before and after we touched stuff.

Our playground had no soft fall and stuff that saw at least one kid a week break their arm. You learned the hard way to toughen up and look out for yourself. Today kids are wrapped in cotton wool, not allowed to explore their boundaries and fall off a harmless plastic bit of equipment onto soft stuff.

They also are not allowed to win or lose I understand. When I was at school during PE 2 team captains would be chosen and they would start taking turns picking from the rest for their team. I was useless at sports so was generally one of the last picked. Did it traumatise me for life? Hell no, I knew I was rubbish in that area but good at other stuff. Kids today all win, have smoke blown up their bums about how great they are at everything then hit the real world and can't get their head around employers telling them they are useless or didn't get the job/promotion as they are not that good. Then they fall in a big hole and start playing victim.

I came to Australia with my 10 pound pom parents where at school we all teased each other about our heritages and called each other snowflakes, darkies, wogs, poms, ities etc. We all took the piss, we all got along and no one was afraid to tell a joke. If you thought you genuinely hurt or upset someone, you said sorry and all laughed it off.

My sense of humour is warped and wicked however I can no longer share what I perceive as funny with anyone other than very close friends and family otherwise I will be the next one up before HR or the Judge having offended someone's little feelings.

Then there is the utterly ridiculous rules surrounding child care/schools where you can't hug little Johnny when he falls in the play ground because again, all teachers are sexual predators, or child carers must have two people to change a baby's nappy.

Sheer madness.

I am English/Irish bloodline, I was born in Australia but a first generation (fathers side), second(mothers side) and I love hanging S**T on people and taking it. Love taking advantage of my heritage and telling people i have an excuse for being a winging idiot lol.

Can't fart these days without offending someone.

Polies are part of it but I think Lawyers too, like work safe and everything that has been put into place to better the country has gone way too far because everyone sues for things that should be occupational hazards. The Funniest thing i have heard in a local steel seller where I live a worker got bitten on the finger by a bee he was not allergic but had to take two days off work lol
And he was in a bikey gang
I don't like people being S**t on but bloody hell everything gets blown out of proportion a bit like throwing a pebble at someone and they say you dropped a bolder on them.

Told ya I could whine

Last edited: