Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What do you think of my home made pod box cai?

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
This is the cai setup i made recently, used 65mm hose and theres a direct flow from the bumper straight to the pod, if i hold my hand in front of the pod and blow through the bumper area into the pipe, theres noticeably air being directed and should make a noticeble differance when driving.

Image013.jpg

Image014.jpg

Looks like the pipe doesnt face the front, but it does. must an illusion.
Image002-3.jpg

Theres no reason why this setup cant be as good or better than the typical vs sc cai, instead of air getting directed through the otr catch, around the restrictive bends in the pipe leading to the air box then through the filter, this setup directs air straight through the bumper, up the pipe and into the pod which is fully boxed off. I checked for clearance when closing the bonnet and seems there less than a center meter, so that will be the lid.. the only thing im going to have to watch for is bugs/dirt and water.... might get some chicken wire and make a mesh filter

Overall what do you think of this which cost less than 15 dollars

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
maybe its the beers giving me hop, but i could remove it and sell them as a kit for 30-40 bucks on ebay. its quite sturdy and flows at a high level. The thing i like is it look s like its supposed to be there.

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Yea, but for the love of god lose the accordian hose!

EDIT: I mean the one from the pod to the engine

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Uh, your kidding right? The one that looks like an accordian between the POD and the engine?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Theres no reason why this setup cant be as good or better than the typical vs sc cai, instead of air getting directed through the otr catch, around the restrictive bends in the pipe leading to the air box then through the filter, this setup directs air straight through the bumper, up the pipe and into the pod which is fully boxed off. I checked for clearance when closing the bonnet and seems there less than a center meter, so that will be the lid.. the only thing im going to have to watch for is bugs/dirt and water.... might get some chicken wire and make a mesh filter

Overall what do you think of this which cost less than 15 dollars

There is a big reason why that setup is no better than the typical HSV CAI. It needs to be sealed to have any effect. Right now, any ram effect from the hose behind the bar is lost. Seal it all up and you should have a winner.

Reaper

Ps. Anybody got an accurate gauge that can read pressure to accurately measure the ram effect (if any) in an air box?