Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What do you think of my home made pod box cai?

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
You don't make much gain from pressure but you can make enough pressure to overcome all the restrictions from the filter/throttle etc plus all the bends in the pipe work and that's worth a bit

I agree entirley, but what I'm saying is that you'd be better of to minimise those restrictions in the first place and increase your gain overall.

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
it may look like its not very boxed off, but it is-
Image008-2-1.jpg

1. The top has little to no clearance. yeah it will let in a little but not much id say.
2. This part is fully sealed by the radiator support and radiator, little heat may come the radiator but agin, i dont think to much.
3. The module and strut tower blocks this part off, i belive no heat would enter through this part.

Overall, i think alot of cold air will get to the box, and while it isnt fully enclosed, i also think the majority of the cold air will remain in the boxed off space and be fed into the engine.

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
had a pod,would never got back hsv cai proven winner and looks better too.

KRUPTD

VN BT1 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Crewman,XE Falcon,HJ V8 panel van,HZ tonner
Looking at your cai setup,it isnt legal because the air filter is exposed.Policeman will defect you for that.If it had a box to cover it and seal it from the engine then im sure it would be legal because the air filter isnt exposed.Remember heat in the engine bay gets to some nice high temperatures,so you will need to block all that radiated heat from the engine/exhaust and with it not fully boxed off the engine can create enough suction to drag in the heat from the engine bay.
With my setup im boxing my pod off,im making a simialr air box fitment like the one from mace engineering they are selling them on ebay too.These air box ideas enclose the pod filter from heat,but with mine im going to run some big intake tubing through my inner guard to behind the front bumper and also having a big whole in the inner gaurd where the air box is.

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
im in qld its completely legal, even unboxed. ive been pulled over numerous times and never heard anything about it..

anyway ill see how it goes, cant be worse than it was unboxed.....

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Im sure it will have a better effect than with just the pod hanging there like everyone else has, by the test i did before i am confident to say that there will be alot of cold air passing through the hose to the pod

I did one better than that and bolted / mounted a K&N pod filter IN my front bar. PVC plumbling pipe mounted and running up into filterless factory air bax that's totally sealed.

Pod filters basically need every surface exposed to atmosphere to be all that good. My senator front bar has the perfect housing spot for it with one of the foglight holes on each side. With no foglight in there anyway, i mounted the pod right behind that hole so it cops nothing but streaming colder air.

It needs to be cleaned with a K&N filter cleaner kit every weekend, but it works well. I tried one of those housings, but wasn't all that great. I kept the factory box there so if the police pop the bonnet and have a look, it looks 100% factory.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Hahaha fair enough then!! You should clean it regulary anyway, it still gets dust and dirt particles stuck in it!