Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What does SS stand for?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Nothing by the looks of it, just the continuation of a badging convention.
Exactly...in the context of commodore it used to stand for 'sports sedan' and then evolved into just 'SS' as spec/trim level...

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I find this is typical with every manufacturer

Hell, look at HSV, these is nothing that they do that couldn't have been replicated at a lower cost, even using top quality parts and shops

But, people will pay through the nose for a badge or trim level

Meh, I suppose if you got the cash you cannot take it with you when your dead

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
these is nothing that they do that couldn't have been replicated at a lower cost, even using top quality parts and shops

I agree, but at some point when trying to turn that Golf into a Veyron, it would have been easier to buy the higher spec from the start!

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I find this is typical with every manufacturer

Hell, look at HSV, these is nothing that they do that couldn't have been replicated at a lower cost, even using top quality parts and shops

But, people will pay through the nose for a badge or trim level

Meh, I suppose if you got the cash you cannot take it with you when your dead
Thing is, though, the extra money you spend on the HSV is recouped if you ever sell the car - and how many new-car buyers don't sell within 3-5 years?

A VF1 SS-V Redline with $20k spent on go-faster bits & a choon would be fasterer than a Gen-F Clubbie, for the same purchase price ... and yet on the used market the Redline would be worth barely any more (if not less) than a stock Redline and the Clubbie will have held a higher % of purchase-price than the stock Redline ...

Similar reason to why an Australian-delivered R32 GT-R is worth more than a JDM one in the exact same condition.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I agree, but at some point when trying to turn that Golf into a Veyron, it would have been easier to buy the higher spec from the start!
Thing is, though, the extra money you spend on the HSV is recouped if you ever sell the car - and how many new-car buyers don't sell within 3-5 years?

A VF1 SS-V Redline with $20k spent on go-faster bits & a choon would be fasterer than a Gen-F Clubbie, for the same purchase price ... and yet on the used market the Redline would be worth barely any more (if not less) than a stock Redline and the Clubbie will have held a higher % of purchase-price than the stock Redline ...

Similar reason to why an Australian-delivered R32 GT-R is worth more than a JDM one in the exact same condition.

I acknowledge that a standard HSV will hold its value better than a base SS, or redline, but....

I don't buy cars or bikes with resale on mind

I buy them to use abuse and have fun with, to modify, to sometimes break, and occasionally crash

For me, a base car with power thrown at it always trumps a car with some minor tweeks and badging

And a Redline with $20k of go fast bits would be a fun thing to use and abuse, hell, a old VX SS with $20k of go fast bit is a blown weapon that would leave any standard HSV in its wake

But then that is comparing oranges with apples

Not that that doesn't happen here alot.......

Meh, modified good, standard bad

And when did we start talking about Golfs???

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
An old VX SS with $20k of go-fast bits applied is a sloppy scary wobbly rattly noisy POS which leaves all sorts of pieces of the interior & engine-bay on the road in it's wake, that also happens to be fast ... :)

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
An old VX SS with $20k of go-fast bits applied is a sloppy scary wobbly rattly noisy POS which leaves all sorts of pieces of the interior & engine-bay on the road in it's wake, that also happens to be fast ... :)

That's my idea of fun...

I've gone from sloppy scary wobbly rattly noisy POS in my youth, to new cars, that even after being modified are sterile and boring, and now back to sloppy scary wobbly rattly noisy POS which leaves all sorts of pieces of the interior & engine-bay on the road in it's wake, that also happens to be fast ........and I couldn't be happier, life to short to not own a stupid car to play with

Hell, I might be buying a Subaru Brumby soon to play with, and I also own a Harley, so my choice of vehicles is not really based on common sense, more on the fun, LOL and something to play with factor

I'll leave the sensible cars for the rest of my family

I keep telling the kids I'm a great role model..........on what not to do

The theme for the VX is mad bogan spec, I'm happy with the development so far
20210105_172406_resized.jpg.9d4f95e91ca06bd5288d30b0965021ad.jpg

Last edited:

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
So where are the rear stockies and invisible caravan ?

15x7?

All painted up nicely thankyou....
20201223_145022.thumb.jpg.b71baedc2dbcc2eef46e10c624f92761.jpg

As for the caravan, I really do want to get a old school round looking 2 berth Viscount jobbie and do it up

Like dis >
Viscount-Eunice.jpg

They say when you go senile you revert to your youth

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Rims - tick.....but the van needs to be invisible.