Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what engine oil to use?

GoodTimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Thunder Sandman, 6-speed Manual
Drain oil out sump, once done, take oil filter out of a little metal cylinder thing under right engine cover (has one bolt on top), lube up the two rubbers ends with oil, put on and close lid, put sumo plug back in, fill with 6l oil. Go to back of car, jack up, on the side with the petrol cap underneath the car next to the petrol tank is three hoses, in between them is a little cylinder, fuel filter, take out using special tool which you can get from bursons or anywhere. Just replace, make sure you put it on right way.
Feel wiper thingy with water, change wipers. Drain coolant, there is a small plug at the back of the radiator on the right hand side (looking at bonnet) at the bottom. Then behind the left wheel whilst driving, is a cover, take it off, get radiator overflow bucket, tip out. Either flush coolant a few times with water or go straight to what you want in there. Should get 12 liters I think it was. And that's a quick easy service.

super6vt1998

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII L67 Calais A4
yeh thanks mate i already knew how to do all that, done it numerous times to the old vt, is the fuel filter same as ones in vts because i needed no tool to change it it was just clip the clamps than take it out, with coolant will air get trapped and if so how do i bleed the air out of the radiator is there bleed valves, gotta change wipers cause theyre warn, the only thing that im iffy on is the whole trans service the mechanic ill get to do is a mobile mechanic that my dad knows hes really cheap labour and comes to your house! ANNNDD already have a gregorys manual its not the best, mines the max ellery manual

GoodTimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Thunder Sandman, 6-speed Manual
No idea on the VT. I'm 18 and this is my first car, still learning. Yeah the clip you could probably use bull nose pliers maybe even Long nose and you clamp push in and then pull lines out. What I do is I just run the engine on idle for about ten minutes and let the air pockets go to the top, then top up. Or drive around to shops get stuff and come back. And I keep doing it until specific amount is in. This might not be the right way, but it works for me, someone with no knowledge on cars. Yeah I have better manuals, just an example. Even a lube and tune up guide may be an investment.

And yeah if the dude is cheap, get him in. Just trying to help. Keep us updated on your progress. You might find another way to get the air pockets out. I tried squeezing the hoses but it takes forever.

Low06VZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 WK HSV Grange #120
I'm not sure if there is a distributor near you. But it could be worth checking out Atlantic oils. They are aussie owned and offer fully synthetics. I just purchased the 10W30 oil for my vz (its done 200+km). It cost me $51 for 10 litres of it. They also have a full lubrication guide online.

Crankcase
ATLANTIC NITROCLEAR 5W-30
ATLANTIC NITRO CLEAR 5W-30 is an Ultra High Performance Fully Synthetic Engine Oil designed to deliver the highest level of wear protection and increased fuel economy. Nitro Clear 5W-30 is suitable for use in modern turbocharged and naturally aspirated Petrol Engines and in a wide range of Light Diesel Engines, especially those fitted with after exhaust treatments such as Diesel Particulate Filters. Nitro Clear has been engineered using Clean Earth Additive Technology designed to substantially reduce fuel consumption thereby reducing atmospheric hydrocarbon pollution. Atlantic Nitro Clear Meets the following specifications: SAE Viscosity: 5W-30, API: SN / CF, ACEA: A1/B1-08, A3/B3-08, A3/B4-08, A5/B5-08 C2-08, C3-08, BMW: LL04, GM: Dexos2, Mercedes Benz: 229.31, 229.51, Volkswagen: 502 00, 505 00.

or ATLANTIC NITRO GOLD 10W-30
ATLANTIC NITRO GOLD 10W-30 SM/CF is manufactured using the highest quality Hydrocracked Group II base oils and performance additives with Synthetic E.P.M Technology®. NITRO GOLD is designed to outperform conventional mineral oils in engine cleanliness and lubricity. Meeting the American Petroleum Institutes highest rating of SM for petrol engines and CF for diesel engines, NITRO GOLD can service the latest petrol engine vehicles and is also suitable for light diesel engine vehicles requiring an API CF rating. NITRO GOLD meets the following specifications: SAE 10W-30. API Petrol Rating: SM, SL, SJ and all previous designations. API Diesel Rating: CF and all previous designations. ACEA Petrol Rating A3. ACEA Diesel Rating B3.

crazykiwiguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ equipe alloytech
Best advice, refer to Owners Handbook and stick with their recommendations, guaranteed not to fail or cause engine damage. Probably any brand 5W-30 A3/B4

My owners manual says use
SAE 10W/30 SL GF-3. Last oil change I done autobarn sold me 5W-30

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
The Alloytec has fine needle oil valves that can clog with thicker oils.
Definitely only 5W or 10W/30 full synth, like Penrite, changed at log book intervals, not imaginary 5,000-7,500km "preservation" intervals. Flush engine every service.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
I change mine at 5000 not 15000 like thay say no need to flush at 5000

Beejay23

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lumina 2006 ( commodore vy 2006
Hi there..i own lumina bit v6 3.6 commodore. Just want advise which engine oil to use. My odo 400k plus can still use 5w30 or 10w40?thanks for the advise.