Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What everyone does for a living

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Well. On a positive note... You can still impart your knowledge to others.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
The trouble is, a lot of us older people have a lot of knowledge to pass on, but nobody wants it.
Heart, and general health issues put me out of mainstream work, and now I cant get a full time job because of age, and poor health. Work to 70?? I wish!!
Anyway, I am a truck mechanic by trade, too much heavy manual work in my early days set me up for a poor later life.
Got off the tools a bit over 25 years ago, got into workshop management, and ended up National Maintenance Manager for
a large private transport company for 14 years, until the "bull Sh1te" got the best of me.
Had major heart surgery, then fell in a heap. Now work a couple of minor part time jobs.
I suppose at least I am still doing something.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
The trick is finding the right medium to pass on the knowledge. Considered being a tutor at a tafe?

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
I'm a checkout chick :/

I have lately become a checked-out worker, being made redundant just before turning 64. It will be interesting to see if I can find another job.

In the past, I have reinvented myself a number of times, but the last time was at 56, and that took a bit of time to succeed back then. One must be optimistic though.

sidecar55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1 9.5 Sportwagon/VE SS Series 2 Ute
Currently Mechanic/Workshop owner, 20+ years in tyres retail & motorsport, motorcycle engineering repair/construction, workshop manager of large motorcyle business & was talked into business with my brother 8 years ago into the workshop. Also race Roadrace Sidecars since 1990.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
I have lately become a checked-out worker, being made redundant just before turning 64. It will be interesting to see if I can find another job.

In the past, I have reinvented myself a number of times, but the last time was at 56, and that took a bit of time to succeed back then. One must be optimistic though.

Best of luck my man!

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!

Sad thing is too many people underestimate the mature aged worker. 2 years ago I hired a 64 year old. He's now 66 and is one of the hardest working, most committed to his job workers in my organisation. He also has decades of experience and no arrogance or attitude. I would hire more like him if they were around.

I joke with him it'll be a sad day for us when he announces his retirement. He laughs and shrugs it off with something like "that's not bloody likely". He still cycles 18km to work every (good weather) day, and home again (obviously). He runs rings around most people half, hell, a third his age!

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
No one generation is all better than another, but the work ethic in general seems a little more prevalent in the baby boomers. There are no doubt plenty of mature workers unable to find jobs, who are a loss to society because they have lots to offer.

In just over seven years in this job I just lost, I turned up for work absolutely every day (or evening) that I was required. Ended up with over 14 weeks accrued sick leave. Shame I wasn't in the public service, where I think they pay it out when you leave. There would be days when 10% or more of the total workforce would call in sick, so 100% attendance record does not seem common over the short term, let alone the long term.

It is sad that some industries are under financial pressure, but it is a fact of life. There is no "right" to a job for life, especially when industry has to respond to changed circumstances. I am lucky that I reorganised my finances and was able to become debt free late last year. If I don't find work, I will be okay, but maybe not comfortable.

Addition: I would rather work and not seek help from the tax payer, but sadly I may need to do so.

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
I work as an apprentice electrician, with a major power company.

Thankfully, we have a no forced redundancy clause in our EBA.

And after seeing 600ish electricians lose there job in the construction sector, such a clause is priceless.