Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] what everyone thinks of a JE camira wagon

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Just read through the gumtree ad, it's defected.

Good luck getting a 20 something year old Camira through regency without major work.

I read it as a blown headlight being the defect.....That's not a regency defect....it's a police station one.

That being said, best checking that's all the defect is for through the rego dept before proceeding any further

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If you're still keen on looking at this car, perhaps the experience from somebody who has owned a number of them might be of more value than the pointless "they're ****" posts you've received so far.

The Camira was a very well designed Opel, that was unfortunately modified and assembled in Australia by Holden employees who didn't give a damn about quality. Whilst this improved over the years they were produced, they were still very poorly built. Paintwork tended to fade pretty early, but that was common to Commodores at that time too. Poor quality, cheap paint was being used at that time. The JE had a two litre multipoint FI engine that produced around 86kw, which was pretty good at that time. If you got a five speed manual version, they performed damned well. Handling on all Camira's was excellent for their day and they were far better than the rubbish being served up by other manufacturers. They were extemely economical. I regularly got over 800km from the 55 litre tank driving to and from work. In good condition, they were a really pleasant little jigger to drive. I often got ribbed about owning a Camira but I knew how good they could really be if you looked after them.

Interior trim was poor and used the same materials as the Commodores, so door trims are prone to sagging and pulling away, seat covers wear out and the carpet is low-grade.

All Camiras suffered from chronic rust. The absolute worst places were in the firewall below the heater box and along a welded seam at the base of the plenum chamber, which ran the full width of the engine bay. Front floor wells also rotted out severely. Manual Camira suffered from cracking firewalls around the clutch cable, caused by flexing of the firewall and inadequate bracing. I found that it was a simple fix to insert a piece of flat timber between the pedal box and the firewall to provide the necessary bracing and alleviate the problem. I also experienced rust in a fuel tank on one car.

One point that has been made in this thread simply has to be corrected. Camira's are NOT difficult to repair - in fact, they are very straightforward and had some very clever innovations. How many FWD cars can have the clutch changed without removing either the engine or the trans? On Camira's, it was a simple job that took about an hour without garage facilities. The water pump, which had to be turned within the block to adjust the timing belt, tended to sieze in the block but was simple to replace. The timing belt was easy to remove and replace and was cheap to purchase. Brakes were absolutely straightforward to service. Electricals were reliable. Headlights tend to dim with age as the reflectors lose their polished finish. Upgrading globes won't help - the reflectors need to be replaced.

After over twenty five years though, I doubt that any Camira that had not been cared for and serviced properly would be worth buying. Too old and too many inherent faults due to poor assembly.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Check the firewall for rust and lots of rust : (

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
i dunno what youre all on about. i get excited when i see a camira still driving. the thoughts "wtf" and "how is that thing still allowed on the road" are usually accompanied by "wow that dude must really look after his cars"

Theres a joke at work.

When we do a clean up of product groups we get to **** like Camira and were like "lets just put in anything because theres none of these left" or "X is worth more than the car."

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Camira'n Fix It.

P plater

the immortal misguided one
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Ford Falcon Futura wagon/ 1994 VR Exec wagon
Ok guys the camira got sold before I could look at it :undead: but I have found an 1989 NA Fairlane with the 3.9 straight six it is in a good condition but hasn't been started in 5 years

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Ok guys the camira got sold before I could look at it :undead: but I have found an 1989 NA Fairlane with the 3.9 straight six it is in a good condition but hasn't been started in 5 years

I think a 1989 Fairlane would be good , is this your first car ? , what's the mileage on it ?? .

P plater

the immortal misguided one
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Ford Falcon Futura wagon/ 1994 VR Exec wagon
It has a really flat battery but the seller said when it was parked in the carport it had done 184000 kays and yes it will be my first car

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
It has a really flat battery but the seller said when it was parked in the carport it had done 184000 kays and yes it will be my first car

might be worth getting someone to get it started , as it hasn't run for a while , at 184000 k' s is not bad for a car 25+ years old , it'll need fresh oil and fuel , and a battery obviously , I'm curious about this one , any pics ?