Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What fuel economy do you get on your V6?

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
SlickHolden said:
I running now a full tank of Vortex 98 first time i have noticed Caltex 98 octane here. Was pretty cheap to @ $1.40. Just under a half with about 260-275km.
Just had my throttle body changed with a newish stock 60mm, All of a sudden I'm having gear changing problems, It's slipping and reeving in between gears and 4th gear is so slack. But if going fully manual it's fine. It's a 6 month old tranny with it's first check up tuesday, It was 100% till the throttle body was changed?.

Is the kickdown cable connected and adjusted properly? Sounds like mine when I disconnected the kickdown cable after changing the throttle body over.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Shortstuff said:
Is the kickdown cable connected and adjusted properly? Sounds like mine when I disconnected the kickdown cable after changing the throttle body over.
I told them to not play with it but they did something to make the accelerator lighter, Which again i said don't worry i like it... No-one listens to me (rolling in the corner crying) But i got the trannys first 6 month check up and serves I'll just see if he can adjust it when he test's it out cause to be honest i wouldn't have a clue how to adjust one:(

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i get about 400km from 55ltrs around town but when i spend a bit of time on the motorway i get between 500-550km for 55 ltrs long hall it's much better but i ussually use the missus VS for that which give about 8.5l/100km from the trip computer when i'm behaving, i've got a k&n panel filter, headers but the original exhaust with a stuffed muffler and all. just cleaned the throttle body and fitted a POD plus i'm in theprocess of sheilding it + a CAI so i'll see how it goes then, might get 2.5" system also to fix that rattly muffler

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Shortstuff said:
You were right it was the kickdown cable. I always knew where it was but never how to adjust it, But lucky i do now:).

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
SlickHolden said:
You were right it was the kickdown cable. I always knew where it was but never how to adjust it, But lucky i do now:).

It's all good then:thumbsup: They shouldn't really have needed to move the setting to remove the throttle body, but at least it was nothing major.

Going back to fuel economy, a woman pulled up outside my daughter's school in an old Ford Falcon today and I smelt petrol pretty strongly. As she drove off (after only a short wait) there was a reasonable sized pool of petrol where the car had been, and she was leaving a petrol trail down the road. I wonder if she noticed her fuel economy dropping recently? It seemed to be a pretty big leak! I'll have to let her know if I see her tomorrow!!

I also noticed the Vortex 98 at the service station by McDonalds in Burnside. They must have just started doing it I think! Might try a tank of it soon.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Shortstuff said:
It's all good then:thumbsup: They shouldn't really have needed to move the setting to remove the throttle body, but at least it was nothing major.

Going back to fuel economy, a woman pulled up outside my daughter's school in an old Ford Falcon today and I smelt petrol pretty strongly. As she drove off (after only a short wait) there was a reasonable sized pool of petrol where the car had been, and she was leaving a petrol trail down the road. I wonder if she noticed her fuel economy dropping recently? It seemed to be a pretty big leak! I'll have to let her know if I see her tomorrow!!

I also noticed the Vortex 98 at the service station by McDonalds in Burnside. They must have just started doing it I think! Might try a tank of it soon.

i remeber sh*te like that here, when we first went to the unleaded fuel made to some BS goverment spec, it was just eating through the old rubber fuel lines on older cars, we had a few car fires when that all first came about, hehehe:ranting:

fazz1977

myspace.com/fazz_himself
Reaction score
Website
www.buttonhole.com.au
Members Ride
1992 VP Executive Wagon, L27 V6 3800
Ok, Been experimenting with various fuel types over the past couple of months to see if there are any gains with particular fuels... here's my findings with average Litres per 100KMs.

Please note that these finding were for MY car, and may differ greatly with other cars.

My car is a fairly stock VP Series 1 3.8l V6 Wagon. K&N Panel Filter. VS-SC CAI. Tyres at 35psi all round.

All driving was approx 75% City, 25% Highway.
I didn't thrash the car, I didn't baby it either. Just regular driving, using pretty much the same route to work, the girlfriend's place and what-not...

United 91RON Unleaded: 13.5l - 14l per 100KMs
United Ultimate 94 (E10): 16l per 100KMs
Mobil Synergy 91RON Unleaded: 13.3l -13.7l per 100KMs
Mobil Synergy 6000 Premium 95RON: 17.8l -18.5l per 100KMs
BP Ultimate 98RON: 16.2l per 100KMs
BP 91RON Unleaded: 12.2l - 12.8l per 100KMs

My findings: Any premium fuel running at a higher RON number tended to run far nicer with more power but tended to burn up more quickly. Definitely not efficient.
Ethanol is crap.
BP Regular boring unleaded was by far the best performer in fuel economy. That's what I'll be using from now on.

You'll also notice I didn't use any Shell or Caltex fuels. On the occasions I have run these fuels in the past the horrible side effects (pinging, overheating, fuel system damage, fuel pumps seizing) weren't worth the risk for me.

Happy motoring!

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
What the hell... 18.5L on 95 octane? 16.2L on BP Ultimate? Would definitely be sticking to normal unleaded on yours :p

I've been swapping between Mobil's Synergy 8000 and BP Ultimate and im finding economy basically the same between the two. Still seems to idle a bit better on the BP Ultimate though.

Last time I tested, I got 370km to 50L of 91 RON Unleaded from BP and 410km to 50L of 98 RON BP Ultimate. That was pretty easy driving though.

fazz1977

myspace.com/fazz_himself
Reaction score
Website
www.buttonhole.com.au
Members Ride
1992 VP Executive Wagon, L27 V6 3800
My thoughts exactly. The premium fuels ran very nicely, heaps of punch, idling beautifully, just burned quickly. My mechanic thinks it's becaise of the CAI, the fact that it burns fuel differently.

The BP Ultimate was awesome to drive with, just used that little bit too much for my liking.

Like I said, my car isn't everyone elses cars.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Yeah. I have a CAI as well, but still get better economy from Ultimate.

Maybe it depends on the driving you do? i.e. I live in the hills so I have to drive down through the hills and back each day, and I dont do much peak hour traffic driving at all.