Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What happened to my clutch? *pic/vid*

kronz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
Hi all,

Own a 2010 VE SS Ute, purchased it with an already installed heavy duty clutch (VERY heavy pedal, unlike anything I or anyone else who's driven it has experienced).

Anyway a couple of days ago I pushed the clutch in to put into neutral to coast to a stop. The pedal suddenly lost all resistance and slammed straight to the floor (due to the amount of pressure required to depress the pedal). The pedal stays on the floor but can easily be pulled back with my left foot - it's essentially just operating on it's own spring and nothing else. Smoke

Under the bonnet I've seen this loose braided hose, which from the research I've done - appears to be the hydraulic line to the clutch master cylinder? Correct me if I'm wrong.

YouTube link to the line/hose in question
[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/NypwBlcDUa8[/YOUTUBE]

Picture of what appears to have detached/become unplugged
91zJIJ5.jpg

I'm wondering if this hose/line is something I can re-attach myself, I wouldn't really know where to attach it to however. A mechanic friend has told me that it simply needs to be re attached, and it runs somewhere through the firewall. He's advised however that this repair is pointless without a particular 'clip' that keeps the hose in place. This would sit in that groove in the attached picture from what I understand..

What are the likely causes of this? What is the best avenue to get this repaired either myself or professionally? Bit clueless here so any advice will be good :(

Thanks!

kronz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
Apologies for the excessively large picture.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Suggest you take the vehicle to an approved mechanic or dealer workshop for adequate repairs. Good luck. If you are an Auto Club member (RACV, RACQ, NRMA etc) you can get free towing (generally) within metro areas.

BenMitchell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S2
would you consider yourself 'clutch ridemann' ? when you say very heavy pedal how heavy are we talking? :bomb:

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
take it to a mechanic even heavy duty clutches aren't heavy like the old day of cable could be a problem in the hydrolic line somewhere else

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Looks like you have deduced the situation correctly. You need to find where that fitting came out, put it back, then find (or more likely) buy the clip that holds that line in place. Once you have that done you will need to bleed the hydraulic clutch system. Will most likely need some more fluid too.

BenMitchell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S2
the clutch probably chucked it in from behaving like 'clutch ridemann' and she's bone dry now :undead:

kronz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
would you consider yourself 'clutch ridemann' ? when you say very heavy pedal how heavy are we talking? :bomb:

Very! For a guy who trains legs every 3rd day, I had a sore left quad for the first week after owning the car. Every single garage that's looked at/worked on the car has commented on it or thought something was wrong with it. Driving in peak hour is straight up not an option for me due to the effort required.

I'll think I'll see if I can plug this back in myself, bleed and new fluid, and see what happens. Anyone know exactly where I should be looking to plug this back into the master cylinder?

BenMitchell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S2
how much are you leg pressing? so I have a better idea of how heavy this clutch is :nopity:

kronz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
Haha - for a good 4 sets of 10 ish reps, probably 7 plates each side? So 280kg for reps