Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What happened to the Brisbane Holden plant?

mixin

Ol' fart, young heart!
Reaction score
Here's an item of interest for those near Dandenong:

After they stopped making VLs there in '88 - they decommissioned the line, toyota used the facility as part of the GMH/toyota joint venture (go the lexcen!) and then toyota proceeded to assemble Corollas (also Holden Novas) there until the Altona Plant was up & running & could handle camrys & corollas!

J

Jaime

The Acacia Ridge plant closed in 1985, according to "Holden History", by Tony Davis, Ewan Kennedy and Alistair Kennedy.

The last models to be built there were;

TG Gemini
JB Camira
VH Commodore
WB Statesman
WB Ute/One Tonner/Panel Van

Pagewood closed in 1980 (I'd like 5 minutes with the bastard who made that call!) the last models to be built there were;

TD Gemini
UC Torana/Sunbird
VB Commodore
HZ Kingswood/Premier/GTS
HZ Statesman
HZ Ute/One Tonner/Panel Van
HZ Sandman

Dandenong closed in 1988 (I think it was '88). Last models were;

RB Gemini
JE Camira
VL Commodore

That's my contribution.

Note: The last of models built at those factories are my guesses, not views expressed in the book.

Cheers.

PIMPIN

The Lurker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 3.8 WHII Statesman LS1
Jaime said:
Pagewood closed in 1980 (I'd like 5 minutes with the bastard who made that call!)

VXIISSM6er said:
interesting....
I was one of the team at GMH (as it was) that recommended that first
Pagewood be shut ..
and then Acacia Ridge.
Just doing the job, to try and keep GMH afloat...they lost $3/4 BILLION in 3 years in the mid 80's, so we had to do something...otherwise there would be no Holden..no HSV as we know it today.

Here you go Jaime, if you had read the rest of the thread, you would've have found this...Now, as 15 yr old with an extensive knowledge of budgets, P & Ls, and senior/executive management, tell him what they did wrong...

mixin

Ol' fart, young heart!
Reaction score
And please explain why my mate has a Sydney (Pagewood) assembled VC if the VB was the last commodore made there?

The Dandenong plant, well that's a story in itself. Holden still had cars assembled there after 1988. What the... you say? Well Novas were assembled there well into the 90s. As you probably won't believe me, look hard for the info & you will find it.

As I mentioned in my post above, Holden still owned the plant, and as part of the Button plan (do a Google search for SENATOR JOHN BUTTON - you may actually learn something about the car industry in Australia) Holden & Toyota did a deal that not only say Lexcens, Novas, Apollos & other odd crossover badge engineered models, but it also meant the Holden had an empty plant, Toyota needed space, and as part of the deal, Dandenong actually remained in operation until Toyota's plant at Altona was up & running. You'll find that Corollas & Novas well into the 90's were assembled there.

Hmmm, maybe you should stick to forming your own opinions on topics from after you were born?

mixin

Ol' fart, young heart!
Reaction score
Look a little harder & you'll find the VL line closed in '88, but the JE camira line continued into 1989......

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
And please explain why my mate has a Sydney (Pagewood) assembled VC if the VB was the last commodore made there?

VC was made at Pagewood....
from memory..one of the 'million' Holdens..a VC SL/E
was made there (think it was the 4 millionth!)

oh
and let me tell you.....
the workings in closing sumfing like a car plant...
are pretty convaluted and involved.....
why?
you have to deal with the $..yep..us accountants do that
but also
unions...and suppliers and customers
and...smartarse politicians....
and also don't forget...fellow employees
but
Pagewood and Acacia Ridge ..did not have futures
when Holden was losing $250 MILLION a YEAR
and
in the end...despite all the crap that went on with Toyota
neither did Dandenong....

cheers

VL Executive

VY SS Ute - Just got 1!
Reaction score
Members Ride
3 VL's, VK EFi, VX S, VY SS Ute, VF SSVR Ute
First Built 1964, Closed in 1985. Really Acacia ridge didnt last that long. Only 21 years. :(

It would be interesting to find some photos of the plant in operation. Like some pics of the plant from the outside, etc ;)

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
I agree, VL. That'd be awesome, considering that they closed the plant at about the time i was born. :b:

devilsman60

Reaction score
Members Ride
Magna 1995
Holdens Brisbane Plant?

I remember the old Acacia Ridge factory, did several tours with the staff there when the Gemini was in production early 80's. However can anyone shed light on the even older Holden Plant in Wickham Street, Fortitude Valley? It was closed and used up as stores/workshops until about 10 years ago I think. Now the site has the Audi, Fiat, Alfa dealerships there. It was opposite the old bus depot and just down the road from Elphinstones (Automotive Parts) warehouse and office.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Mate, this thread is over 6 years old.

holy_thread_resurrection_batman.jpg