Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What have I rooted in my wife's L77 by leaving the oil filler cap off?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Yeah, quick run to supercheap and they will do it. Not sure of cost.
This involves driving it ... is that wise?

So it's not making any ticking or clicking or abnormal engine noises, oil light isn't on, oil level is fine on the dipstick, oil is about as clean as engine oil ever is, no odd odours, and it's driving OK - is it safe to drive the 10 minutes home from work?
I can use the project car & duck up to SCA and grab a reader, I think there's value in having one (and even brand name ones look cheaper than the last oil-change's parts cost).

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
With all due respect of course.
Have you not lifted that bonnet for two months?
A very good idea is to check all fluids under bonnets of vehicles weekly

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
With all due respect of course.
In answer to "is it safe to drive" you mean?

Have you not lifted that bonnet for two months?
A very good idea is to check all fluids under bonnets of vehicles weekly
But do I look more a mug for not doing that, or for leaving the oil filler cap off? :(

*edit*
Actually the more I ponder it, the more I wonder if there's any chance I have NCV instead of PCV, although enough pressure to pop the filler cap would have to be close to impossible ...

Last edited:

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
Could always buy a cheap scanner they are very handy to have, I run 3 cheapies and the dearest one was under $200. Can't tell you to just drive it and see but I know what I would do, many cars just vent the rocker breathers to atmosphere which is no different to having the cap off and a filter in its place.

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
Should be safe to drive if it's not making any metallic crunching noises...
But as said get it scanned asap.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
She'll be right

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I had a workshop leave an oil cap off one of my cars after a service and I certainly knew about.

I had a 1 1/2 hour freeway drive home and when I was almost at my door I could hear her rattling, I opened the bonnet and there was oil everywhere.

The same happened on a trip away except it was an oil pressure gauge sensor that failed, again I had oil everywhere.

Both cars were 1970's models.

The engines were never stripped down but in both cases I never noticed any difference when driving them, I'm now very particular about checking my own and other peoples work.

I had worse, The only time I went to a Holden Stealers for warranty was our V2 2002 Monaro complaining a spongy clutch pedal so they bleed the clutch and forgot to put the brake fluid cover back on then when I got home (clutch was getting spongy again) I can smell oil burning so I lifted the bonnet and brake fluid was everywhere, Ripped off all the yellow paint under the bonnet and had to get them to remove the engine to fix it.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
Oil filler cap off is going to create a vacuum leak, unmetered air entering the intake (via the PCV) that the MAF does not see which will make it run leaner and the O2 sensors will have to compensate for. If it's enough to throw a engine code is the question?

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
Oil filler cap off is going to create a vacuum leak, unmetered air entering the intake (via the PCV) that the MAF does not see which will make it run leaner and the O2 sensors will have to compensate for. If it's enough to throw a engine code is the question?
This is the most likely cause for that check engine light @Forg. But don't risk driving it around till you get the scan done. Take an uber or get someone to give you a lift to the auto parts store. OR just order an OBD scan tool online - it should be at your doorstep within a day or two.